Original NES Mobo

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Original NES Mobo

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:40 pm

How much can you cut down on the size of the NES mobo? What I'm really asking is that if it has multiple layers or not so if I can cut off some sides of the board to fit into a smaller case?

In regards to anyone who says to go with a NOAC or immitation NES, I'm going with the original for 100% compatibility and no loss in video quality.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Original NES Mobo

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm pretty sure you can cut quite a bit off...as it's only 1 layer. Your best bet would probably be to pick up Ben's book...as that has some info on cutting the board down I believe.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 pm

I've got his book. I've read that section multiple times, but I do believe I could cut off more than he did.

I was just double checking......after ruining a Mini ITX board in me NES-PC i'm a little hesitant about cutting the PCBs.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:54 am

themadhacker cut his down pretty good, enough to fit in in a game gear case.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bino Gas
Portablizer

Post by Bino Gas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:42 pm

You can cut off all the ground that frames the board. If you desolder the headers for the player 1 and 2 ports, you can cut down even more (you might even be able to solder directly to their traces, I'm not sure if those caps are even necessary. If you need them you could just relocate them). You'll need to connect the ground somewhere else.

You can cut off the pads for the cart slot and connect the cart slot to the traces.

You can cut off the part of the board that the power and reset buttons originally connected to. The 2 traces that are furthest right and go to the RF box are only there for the power/reset switch, so you can cut that part off and remove those caps.

It's also possible to fold the board in half if you have a steady hand. You would need to bridge a ton of traces (kynar, anyone), but it's definitely possible.

Someone should redesign the NES board in eagle à la Kibble's T64 or Rekarp's Atari. Or just use a NES 2 board.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Did some more chopping up of the Mobo, sorta the same as theMadHacker.

Sorry about this last photo, I didn't think it looked that blurry.

I'm trying to fit the original NES into a plastic enclosure from polycase......what was it again...... ahh yes, the largest of the AG series. (AG-85)

I have to get to testing it soon though........i had to re-rout one of the ground connectors for the cartridge pins.

leonexodio
PSN Username:leonexodio
360 GamerTag:Leon Exodio

Post by leonexodio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 am

im thinking about the same but what would be more better and easyer a nes or genesis portable i really like them both but idk to pick

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:30 pm

wallydawg wrote:themadhacker cut his down pretty good, enough to fit in in a game gear case.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I should really finish that, shouldn't I?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:14 am

On a second note, is that amp circuit designed to boost the NES's video output signal circuit that Ben has in his book required for a PSone or Zenith screen?

I only ask because the book talks as though its only required for the Pocket TV.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 am

it is required for everything. otherwise the colors will be very pale.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Bumping this to show my attempt and failure of relocating the cartridge slot........lol
Think i may even ruined the chance of using this cartridge connector, i'll have to scrap it and use another because its such a pain to remove all the solder, electrical tape, and hot glue i used to connect all the wires.
Biggest problem was that the NES cart could not sit in the slot all the way because the wires obstructed some of the space needed for the cart's case. Even after testing it fully inserted i got no response from the NES. Probably not dead because the video flicker, just the wires didn't connect properly.

Hoping the second try will be successful.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:18 pm

On a second note, the wire is too thick to fit in the case I want so I've set this aside.

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 pm

with the original connector the game has to be at a certain angle for it to work don't forget that :P
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Oh i chopped off the zero force insertion cart slot side and used the other half that is connected to the NES mobo to be used as the cart slot. Like in Ben's book. That way I wouldn't have to worry about having it at a specific angle............. That last photo is just me looking at what I had left to work with before I have to go buy a new slot without getting a whole NES.

I just think some of the wires where not entirely soldered or connected to the prongs.......I did have a frustrating time trying to solder all that stuff on, then i wanted to wrap them with electrical tape to prevent shorts. Couldn't find any of that heat shrink wrap like electrical tape used to insulate connections, would be easier to install and not take up as much space as my sloppy job did.

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:16 am

hmm i might go out and buy some PC board now and try to make my own custom boards to make a really small portable :p
need a new NES though cause i stole some resistors lol
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D