My Nintendo Portable Project.

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

PERMASPOOKED
Re: My Nintendo Portable Project.

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:24 pm

I also wanted input on wich one of the jack inputs is for AV. One is obviously headphones but the other is gona be AV in. The one on the left is smaller then the one on the right. So im assuming that the one on the right is the AV in. There is also another smaller one on the LCD board.

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:24 pm

EDIT: Ok looking back at what i already did. My LEDs are not wired in parallel like the book says. I had assumed that when you said one resistor for each you ment to wire a resistor on each positive then send the power to them that way. Looking back in the back he has the resistors attached to each other with one end going to the positive on a LED and the other end to the +5 with the LEDs connected together. Could this be my problem? I just dont wanna take it apart unless i know that is a mistake.

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 pm

themadhacker wrote:You will want one resistor for each led, and they need to be of around 33kohm.
That seems like way too high of a resistance. The LED's that I use are rated at 3.5v, 20mA. From a 5v source, I only need 82ohms for each LED. Try this LED calculator.

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 am

limpport wrote:
themadhacker wrote:You will want one resistor for each led, and they need to be of around 33kohm.
That seems like way too high of a resistance. The LED's that I use are rated at 3.5v, 20mA. From a 5v source, I only need 82ohms for each LED. Try this LED calculator.
Im not sure what LEDs i purchased i threw out the wrapper. They where cheap white ones. Ill have to walk into radio shack and check. Since i might be picking up some other resistors maybe ill purchase some high power LEDs? they cost a few dollars as aposed to 99 cents a pair.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 am

PERMASPOOKED wrote:
limpport wrote:
Im not sure what LEDs i purchased i threw out the wrapper. They where cheap white ones. Ill have to walk into radio shack and check. Since i might be picking up some other resistors maybe ill purchase some high power LEDs? they cost a few dollars as aposed to 99 cents a pair.
Try a 1kohm resistor for your LEDs. It will be much brighter than the 33kohm and you still won't risk frying them (you can use a lower value resistor if you know the exact specs of the LED, lower value resistor == higher current running through the LED == brighter).
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 am

jdmlight wrote:
PERMASPOOKED wrote:
limpport wrote:
Try a 1kohm resistor for your LEDs. It will be much brighter than the 33kohm and you still won't risk frying them (you can use a lower value resistor if you know the exact specs of the LED, lower value resistor == higher current running through the LED == brighter).
Thanks. I think i will. What ill do is pick up a few diffrent resistors i also wanna pick up these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3107633 just incase as well.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

PERMASPOOKED wrote:
jdmlight wrote:
PERMASPOOKED wrote:
limpport wrote:
Thanks. I think i will. What ill do is pick up a few diffrent resistors i also wanna pick up these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3107633 just incase as well.
The LEDs you linked to are ultraviolet, if you're using them for a screen backlight they won't work. You want white LEDs.

While you're there, you should pick up something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062306 That way you don't have to keep running to the store if you need a different resistor.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Ok just got back from radio shack i purchased a 1kohm resistor. i solderedvi it up. The LEDs are def brighter. I think i have them sitting in to far thow. Should be an easy fix. I plugged in the superjoy directly to the AV in with propper cable and this is what i got.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stKOhrhyrZg
EDIT: video is still processing so give it a few minutes.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 pm

looks like you need to connect ground
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:58 pm

themadhacker wrote:looks like you need to connect ground
wich ground? im almost positive i have all connected to a ground.

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Here is the current setup. Dont worry about the loose wires and bare metal it will be all covered up when its working.

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:50 am

UGH. I wish i had a newer screen now. I probably wouldnt have this problem. I have no loose or bad grounds.