Flashback portable V1

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp
Re: Flashback portable V1

Post by Rekarp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:01 am

Well I just heard from the guy that shipped the screen. Apparently customs shipped it back to him so hes shipping it out again on Monday. Fun stuff. :facepalm:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:48 am

FINALLY! Got it in today. Quality compared to AEIcomp is ok. Acceptable for Atari and maybe NES but after that I would buy a better screen. I guess for $30 you get what you pay for.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1B6Kij1sM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The wood master

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:21 am

Hmm looks like my Project Unity took all the wind out of this project.... NOT

Finally got that blasted 3.5" screen in. From now on I am sticking with AEIcomp. Sure its more expensive but the screen quality is better and shipping only takes a couple days. Anyways on to the case!

Man that 3.5" screen looks TO big now haha.

The second player port. Took awhile to file that slot out but it looks nice. Needs a bit more sanding before I finish the case out.

That is the headphone jack. Right next to it will be a knob for volume and the B/W switch. I am going to try to finish up the case tomorrow. Just need to cut a couple more holes and then polish the aluminum up and lacquer the wood. There is some internal stuff to build so I will try to get that done tomorrow to.
The wood master

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:27 am

nah, it looks fine

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 am

Looks much better with a 3.5" screen hole - it looks more proportional.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

retrodelee

Post by retrodelee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:45 pm

Looks great! Sell it to me! LOL
I do like the looks of it. My quality is NOTHING like this.

retrodelee

Post by retrodelee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:40 pm

i can't wait to see updates!
Depending on the price, perhaps we can work out a deal on this one! :)

retrodelee

Post by retrodelee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I meant to ask you... what's the status on your buttons and stuff? I am eager to see this once it is finished. Everytime I see one of these wooden versions, I want to make one.

Over time, while playing the unit (previous units you've made) how does the varnish feel?! Does the system become sticky at all to the touch? Do you have any over-heating issues?

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 pm

retrodelee wrote:I meant to ask you... what's the status on your buttons and stuff? I am eager to see this once it is finished. Everytime I see one of these wooden versions, I want to make one.

Over time, while playing the unit (previous units you've made) how does the varnish feel?! Does the system become sticky at all to the touch? Do you have any over-heating issues?
I don't use varnish. Lacquer only. Never gets sticky. No overheating issues.
The wood master

retrodelee

Post by retrodelee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:57 pm

So... after looking through your projects, I've been thinking about moving to building my own case instead of putting it into something already made. I like the wood cases... in particular I like the looks of the SNES cases you made.

I thought about adding a harmony cart inside of the portable... but then got to thinking that I want this project because I want to jam a cart into a cart slot and enjoy my carts.

So I will do a standard mod (possibly the FB2).

After looking at the wood cases... I was wondering if you could care a bit of into on the wood you use
Typical places to get certain types of wood (curled maple, cherry) Home Depot and Lowes does not carry it.
Also, what are the general sizes you bought for your projects? How thick are the pieces that you used for the sides and the top and bottom?

Thanks...

Last questions... (I think)
Got links for cart connectors (aside from digikey) Perhaps normal outlets around a typical city?
How much battery life do you really save by switching out the light tube of the LCD to LEDs?
Audio Amp... I would assume this would save batteries if I built one like you have.

Thanks

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

For wood I go to woodcraft. They have a website but I have a store here in Austin (only 4 miles from my house to!). I buy it in 48"x6"x3/4"(sometimes 5/4) and rip it to the sizes I want. The sides are around 3/8" thick and the front/back are 3/32" thick. To cut the 3/4" plank into those thicknesses I cut it vertically on a table saw. I would not recommend this method as it takes a fair amount of skill to keep it from binding and killing you. Woodcraft sells "Thick veneer" of sorts. Its 1/8" thick and around 4" wide. I have used that before with great results (this project uses this stuff). Its great if you don't want to mess with ripping the wood. For most hardwoods 3/32"-1/16" is the thinnest you want to go. Wood is very strong but at those thicknesses it gets flexible and having the case flex as you press a button is fairly "cheap" feeling.

All the cases are glued except the back. If you look at some of my old project logs you can see how I put them together. I am planning on making a speed video of a case from start to scratch soon.

Hope this helps
The wood master

retrodelee

Post by retrodelee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reply...
that will help a lot.

I was wandering around Home Depot today and almost bought some wood, but wasn't really sure. I can't find that curled maple anywhere. But I'll look for one of those stores in the detroit area.

I'll have to relook at your work logs. I was thinking you used plastic spacers and screws. However, I could be remembering that from Ben's book. Not really sure.

Again... thanks.
(Any great resources on the cart slot? Ben seemed to use a fairly generic one in the Pancake portable I used to one)

Rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sat May 22, 2010 4:58 pm

The Flashback portable is almost done. Should be finished by next week.

The metal tabs are going to be drilled then tapped so the back wooden panel can attach to the case.

The d-pad and buttons. Electrically the portable is done and the case is in the final stages of completion.
The wood master

Donalbain619

Post by Donalbain619 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Ahh Rekarp! Back from the dead. Good to see news on this. Cannot wait to see it finished! :D
Last edited by Donalbain619 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have nothing clever to say here. Sorry.