Awesome NES PC Mod Help...

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

MasterPrime
Awesome NES PC Mod Help...

Post by MasterPrime » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm creating an NES PC with a microATX Intel G45 board (it'll be awhile I only have $240/month for parts). I don't need help with that part. I've got everything I need. Awesome onboard HD Mobo, Slim BluRay, Slim HDD, and external power source.

For input, I wanted to turn my NES controllers into a PC remote or keyboard and the other one a mouse. That would eliminate the need to use the mini keyboard with trackpad I found and stay with the NES aesthetics.

the PC itself will be rather simple. my math shows that all the parts will fit inside and I shouldn't exceed 150W at peak.
For the mouse, I want to map the left and right to A & B (of course).
The problem I'm having is movement. I was thinking about replacing the Dpad with a trackball but I wanted to get some opinion of people who have done similar mods before. I'm new to mods so I figured the controllers would be a good place to start. My two main concerns are the room and power (since it's bluetooth).

for the keyboard I was thinking of using a cellphone qwerty keyboard but I'm not sure it would function in the same fashion as a desktop keyboard. and again power is a concern.

For power I was thinking about getting those LiPo batteries but a protection circuit + input device components won't fit very well.

Any insights or alternate suggestions on how to add power to the controllers and make a functioning super small keyboard would be most appreciated.

My ability level as far as electronics and soldering is low-intermediate but my learning curve is steep.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: Awesome NES PC Mod Help...

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:22 pm

This is the closest to an NES keyboard that you'll find:
You could mod a keyboard to match the NES, or:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a ... do-NES-PC/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found that guy's NES PC with a quick google search. He doesn't use a keyboard.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:11 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:This is the closest to an NES keyboard that you'll find:
img=http://modsandends.com/wp-content/uploa ... onsole.jpg
You could mod a keyboard to match the NES, or:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a ... do-NES-PC/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found that guy's NES PC with a quick google search. He doesn't use a keyboard.
It's not an emulator. It will be mainly used as a media PC. He doesn't use a keyboard because he doesn't have to but I plan on mine being a fully functional PC.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm bumping my thread with an update and another question. well really the same question but one that wasn't answered.

Objective : Fit a bluetooth keyboard + batteries into this space

Gray is standard NES Controller
Red is Battery Pack
Controller.gif
Controller.gif (13.51KiB)Viewed 3560 times
any ideas on tiny keyboards? The only thing I can find that's close to small enough is the ikey ak-39 and that's a little to big for my purposes.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:17 pm

it would be a lot easier to put in a keypad like the 360 messaging board. But other than that check out UMPC keyboard replacements or foldable rubber keyboards.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

MasterPrime

Post by MasterPrime » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:41 am

chainfire95 wrote:it would be a lot easier to put in a keypad like the 360 messaging board. But other than that check out UMPC keyboard replacements or foldable rubber keyboards.
I was thinkin that same thing. that brando "super tiny" keyboard is more than triple the size of an NES controller and I'm trying to maintain that. I did find a sweet keypad that might be rather effective. May even fit on the mouse controller. Now I just need to figure out how to hook it up to bluetooth.