Cant overclock after using bens stereo mod

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

HercTNT
Cant overclock after using bens stereo mod

Post by HercTNT » Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

I used bens stereo mod on my nes and i love it. problem is i can overclock the nes not even alittle. the only game that will start at all overclocked is castlevania 3 and the audio is extremely screweded up. i am down to a 25mhz oscillator but had started at a 32 then a 30. none work. my only other question is i have routed the wires to a diepole switch on the bottom of the case to switch between standard and overclocked mode. will a longer signal wire screw up my chances of overclocking more? removing the two resistors in bens stereo mod (as crazy as this may sound) almso made the on screen colors crisper. without a doubt my video quality has improved atleast a small noticable amount. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'M LOVING THE STEREO!!!!!

HercTNT

Re: Cant overclock after using bens stereo mod

Post by HercTNT » Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 pm

i found a document from 2005 buy a guy called WhiteDRG. In the document he says its possible to Overclock a nes cpu without overclocking the rest of the system. The document is fairly complicated featuring two 4 pin dip switches and three oscillators. In the document he shows wiring to the ppu as well as the cpu. i want to know how it would be possible to do the same thing he has without the dip switches or multiple oscillators. i would be happy with just the 25mhz oscillator if i could. these forums wont allow me to upload a pdf file, anyone familiar with the file, or that i can send it to please let me know. if it is possible to only overclock the cpu i imagine it would help a lot!

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun May 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, my guess is that you're going to want to overclock just the PPU and nothing else. Overclocking the other parts can result in sound getting very messed up. The reason why Castlevania 3 will still work a little is because the MMC5 mapper inside really messes with the low level registers of the hardware to make sure interrupts, etc, are all absolutely perfectly timed. But only some. As an aside, this is also why it doesn't work with NOAC's. You only should be overclocking the PPU because otherwise you will mess up other critical timings.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun May 17, 2009 9:51 pm

arfink wrote:Well, my guess is that you're going to want to overclock just the PPU and nothing else. Overclocking the other parts can result in sound getting very messed up. The reason why Castlevania 3 will still work a little is because the MMC5 mapper inside really messes with the low level registers of the hardware to make sure interrupts, etc, are all absolutely perfectly timed. But only some. As an aside, this is also why it doesn't work with NOAC's. You only should be overclocking the PPU because otherwise you will mess up other critical timings.
Wouldn't overclocking the PPU be pointless? Wouldn't it seriously screw up the video signal? Am I stupid? :lol:

HercTNT

Post by HercTNT » Sun May 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Truth is stranger than fiction. I had a friend of mine take a look at my wiring and he found the air of my ways. i had removed a dipole switch off of a power supply to use to switch between standard and overclocked operation. Keep in mind this is purely a guess, but he believes that somehow i managed to combine the onboard clock, and the oscillator clock into one signal. Even worse i did not have the oscillator hooked up to a 5v source, as i read the document wrong. Instead i had the 5v line for the oscillator hooked up to ground. Despite this colossol failure on my part, lol, i did manage to get castlevania 3 and only castlevania 3 to start. the 32mhz and 30mhz crystals were to much for the system, when i lowered to a 25mhz combined with the original system clock and no power source castlevania 3 worked breifly.............FIGURE THAT ONE OUT!! Somehow i did not manage to destory anything. I have overclocked a nes before with perfect success. this was the first time i tried to put in a switch to change between crystals. So i cant wire............................hehe

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 pm

XCVG wrote:
arfink wrote:Well, my guess is that you're going to want to overclock just the PPU and nothing else. Overclocking the other parts can result in sound getting very messed up. The reason why Castlevania 3 will still work a little is because the MMC5 mapper inside really messes with the low level registers of the hardware to make sure interrupts, etc, are all absolutely perfectly timed. But only some. As an aside, this is also why it doesn't work with NOAC's. You only should be overclocking the PPU because otherwise you will mess up other critical timings.
Wouldn't overclocking the PPU be pointless? Wouldn't it seriously screw up the video signal? Am I stupid? :lol:
Overclocking the PPU can reduce lots of lag with things on screen like in Mega Man or Kirby. The video signal will turn out just fine. The only side effect is that the sound raises in pitch. You can also underclock it for fun!

akaviolence

Post by akaviolence » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 pm

The only guide I could find via google search is dead.
http://www.epicgaming.us/nes_oc/howto.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Various other epicgaming links also dont work anymore, does anyone have the info available to post so I can try it out?
I have a guy that wants me to try it on a top loader, found a guide for that too and guess what...
TIA

akaviolence

Post by akaviolence » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 pm

HercTNT wrote:i found a document from 2005 buy a guy called WhiteDRG. In the document he says its possible to Overclock a nes cpu without overclocking the rest of the system.
Amazing... I couldn't find the overclock giude until I googled WhiteDRG and found his guide. His guide is the same as the rest I believe in that the sound pitch increases as he's only o'clocking the PPU. Three oscillators for 3 different speeds to play with, thats all.
Now I can try it out on a top loader...
My NES-101 website.