Nes games and alcohol?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator: Moderators

vomitsaw
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by vomitsaw » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I've never had an issue with rubbing alcohol.
And get this... the official NES cleaning kits came with a little bottle of something called isopropanol, which as far as I can tell, is 99%-ish alcohol. You should be fine. :)
Image

User avatar
samjc3
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Steam ID: samjc3
Location: burning and pillaging!!

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by samjc3 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

vomitsaw wrote:I've never had an issue with rubbing alcohol.
And get this... the official NES cleaning kits came with a little bottle of something called isopropanol, which as far as I can tell, is 99%-ish alcohol. You should be fine. :)
yup. isopropanol is alchohol.
nintendo are hippocrites! :P
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

User avatar
Life of Brian
Moderator
Posts: 2867
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 pm

isopropanol = isopropyl alcohol = rubbing alcohol

How fitting that my 2000th post should be a chemistry one. I'm a chemistry major for those of you who don't know...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!
Image

User avatar
Oniak
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by Oniak » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Life of Brian wrote:isopropanol = isopropyl alcohol = rubbing alcohol

How fitting that my 2000th post should be a chemistry one. I'm a chemistry major for those of you who don't know...
Congrats on your 2000th post, and pretty sweet your a chemistry major!

User avatar
Kurt_
Portablizer
Posts: 5748
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:32 am
Steam ID: kurbert
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Hah. Science.

I dunno what it is about it, but I always though adding "engineer" to the end of anything makes it sound 100x more hardcore.

Chemist? No! Chemical Engineer. 8)
Hey, sup?

User avatar
samjc3
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Steam ID: samjc3
Location: burning and pillaging!!

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by samjc3 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Hah. Science.

I dunno what it is about it, but I always though adding "engineer" to the end of anything makes it sound 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x more hardcore.

Chemist? No! Chemical Engineer. 8)
fix'd :P
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

gameboy fixer 77
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: united kingdom neutral zone

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by gameboy fixer 77 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:06 pm

works great, they just say that to get you to by there cheap junk cleaners

User avatar
XCVG
Senior Member
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by XCVG » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am

When I see this topic I think of playing SMB3 drunk.

User avatar
SnowKitty
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by SnowKitty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Oniak wrote:would 99% alcohol be too much and possibly damage the contacts?
i use 99.953% alcohol that i buy at fry's. stuff works wonders and is probably about as pure as you can get the stuff
meow

User avatar
totokan
Senior Member
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by totokan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:18 pm

Do your NES games really get so oxidized that you have to clean them, or do you purchase them in poor condition and clean them? In my collection, all of the games (save one or two from ebay) have been with me since the console's purchase in the late 80's, and I've never had any visible oxidation. The only problem my NES ever had was a poor ZIF connector, but I think everyone has that issue...
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

User avatar
Taiben
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Watching Tibia undress through her windows

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by Taiben » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:35 pm

Depends how they've been stored. My stuff was in the uninsulated garage for years in northern MI winters. They were green when I unpacked them. Freind of mine had his hooked up tothe tv for the past 20 years and his look like new.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

User avatar
metalcookie
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Walter Sullivan's apartment

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by metalcookie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:02 am

for EVERY game console i own that uses game carts i always use rubbing alcohol. it's 100% safe and there is 0% chance of you ever use alcohol to clean a game, game console, or the lens on disc consoles.
the only way you could ruin it is if you soak it in alcohol,but i doubt you'll do that :lol:
Citizen Kane

User avatar
Taiben
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: Watching Tibia undress through her windows

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by Taiben » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:59 am

If it's not 100% pure it can't possilby be 100% safe. If theres inpurities in it there is still a chance it can cause a problem. Oviously the chances of having a problem go down the higher the purity.
copulate all you goddamn smartasses.

User avatar
Oniak
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Nes games and alcohol?

Post by Oniak » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:44 pm

totokan wrote:Do your NES games really get so oxidized that you have to clean them, or do you purchase them in poor condition and clean them? In my collection, all of the games (save one or two from ebay) have been with me since the console's purchase in the late 80's, and I've never had any visible oxidation. The only problem my NES ever had was a poor ZIF connector, but I think everyone has that issue...
For me its that I purchase them and they are quite dirty, so I clean them.

Post Reply