I may make my first portable - details inside

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Ace_1
I may make my first portable - details inside

Post by Ace_1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:20 pm

I've recently been garnering a big interest in portable game systems after having gotten 2 GameBoys(DMG and Color models) and a Game Gear, so I figured, why not build one? There is the FC Mobile available, but it doesn't seem all that appealing to me, especially with the cartridges making massive towers out of the system, and since I like to just hack up everything I own, I'm going to make a portable NES. It will have the following features:

-NOAC pulled off a GN Twin(I've split my GN Twin into its constituent Genesis and NES boards - worklog of what I'm doing with the Genesis board in the Sega section of the forum)
-3" to 5" TFT LCD screen(haven't decided on screen size yet)
-2nd controller port for 2-player games and games requiring use of the Zapper
-Controls with Turbo functions(may use a hacked up Yobo FC Game Console controller)
-Dual 60-pin and 72-pin slots
-Can be powered by batteries or a power supply
-Dual speakers with a headphone port
-TV outputs

My main issue is powering the unit. If I were to use AA batteries to power the unit, how many would run the thing? Would the GN Twin's NOAC be tolerant of 6V delivered through its power input? If I were to use a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, what type would be best to use?

As for the name of the unit, I have no name yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

footinmouth

Re: I may make my first portable - details inside

Post by footinmouth » Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm

sounds, good, what's the compatibility like on the GN twin?
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:51 am

Typical NOAC, no Castlevania III(dark green screen), no Rad Racer II(no power, power light is VERY dim). The sound is just like all the other NOACs out there except for the jeweled FC Twin and RetroDuo: the sound pitch is reversed. I've had major issues with After Burner as well(unlicensed Tengen cart) - the game doesn't boot(shows a screen filled with graphical garbage).

By the way, I'll now have 2 separate NOACs for the NES and Famicom carts. I got a Super Joy III with a cartridge slot already built in, so I split the NOAC away from the controls, as the controller board was broken. There is one game I can't use on the Super Joy's NOAC for whatever reason: Gradius II. It's a Famicom exclusive that contains Konami's VRC4 mapper chip, which works on my FC Twin and GN Twin, but not on the Super Joy.

I also noticed that the Super Joy's video output is filled with line noise like the Top-Loader NES. Is there any way to fix it?

Now, I did notice, when mixing the Super Joy and GN Twin's A/V outputs that the GN Twin's video got more muddy and saturated and the audio got quieter. Is there any type of switching chip I can use so that when the NES portion is on, it enables the GN Twin's video and audio, and when the Famicom side is on, it enables the Super Joy's video and audio?

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Mon May 04, 2009 11:28 am

Ace_1 wrote:Typical NOAC, no Castlevania III(dark green screen), no Rad Racer II(no power, power light is VERY dim). The sound is just like all the other NOACs out there except for the jeweled FC Twin and RetroDuo: the sound pitch is reversed. I've had major issues with After Burner as well(unlicensed Tengen cart) - the game doesn't boot(shows a screen filled with graphical garbage).

By the way, I'll now have 2 separate NOACs for the NES and Famicom carts. I got a Super Joy III with a cartridge slot already built in, so I split the NOAC away from the controls, as the controller board was broken. There is one game I can't use on the Super Joy's NOAC for whatever reason: Gradius II. It's a Famicom exclusive that contains Konami's VRC4 mapper chip, which works on my FC Twin and GN Twin, but not on the Super Joy.

I also noticed that the Super Joy's video output is filled with line noise like the Top-Loader NES. Is there any way to fix it?

Now, I did notice, when mixing the Super Joy and GN Twin's A/V outputs that the GN Twin's video got more muddy and saturated and the audio got quieter. Is there any type of switching chip I can use so that when the NES portion is on, it enables the GN Twin's video and audio, and when the Famicom side is on, it enables the Super Joy's video and audio?
I'm thinking of trying to mod the retro duo so that I can use the nes side only and disprove life of Brian. I want to play castlevania 3 on the go, once I get that game. the genesis compatibility from what I've heard isn't too bad
i hate how electronic part suppliers give you an option on their website to filter your searches so that you can find a certain part and no results come up!

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I know you can split the GN Twin into a fully-functional NES and Genesis, however, as I don't own a RetroDuo, I won't be able to help you with that. Sorry.

Actually, the Genesis compatibility on the GN Twin is about 99.99%, as the 32X works(but there's no way to mix the video outputs), Virtua Racing and any Sega Master System converter. The system can also accept official Sega Master System or Genesis controllers with a little modding. When I stuffed the GN Twin's Genesis board inside my Genesis 3, I managed to wire up 2 controller ports compatible with all Sega Master System(Light Phaser included) and Sega Genesis(3-button, 6-button, wireless, you name it) controllers. I still have to write up the guide.

Fun fact about the GN Twin: I believe it was initially supposed to be dual Super NES and Genesis compatible, as the system has screw posts where the NES board is located that can accommodate the FC Twin's Super NES board(except it's a little long). I was actually thinking, if I lose my interest in making a portable NES, I'd make a homemade FC3 Plus inside my GN Twin's shell. Get a 2-player Radica Genesis and add a cartridge slot, and buy a RetroDuo for the best NES/Super NES compatibility possible. Or use my FC Twin's Super NES board and the Super Joy NOAC(my FC Twin's NES board is dying, so I have to find something to do with its Super NES board if I can't make the NES side work properly again).

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Mon May 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Ace_1 wrote:I know you can split the GN Twin into a fully-functional NES and Genesis, however, as I don't own a RetroDuo, I won't be able to help you with that. Sorry.

Actually, the Genesis compatibility on the GN Twin is about 99.99%, as the 32X works(but there's no way to mix the video outputs), Virtua Racing and any Sega Master System converter. The system can also accept official Sega Master System or Genesis controllers with a little modding. When I stuffed the GN Twin's Genesis board inside my Genesis 3, I managed to wire up 2 controller ports compatible with all Sega Master System(Light Phaser included) and Sega Genesis(3-button, 6-button, wireless, you name it) controllers. I still have to write up the guide.

Fun fact about the GN Twin: I believe it was initially supposed to be dual Super NES and Genesis compatible, as the system has screw posts where the NES board is located that can accommodate the FC Twin's Super NES board(except it's a little long). I was actually thinking, if I lose my interest in making a portable NES, I'd make a homemade FC3 Plus inside my GN Twin's shell. Get a 2-player Radica Genesis and add a cartridge slot, and buy a RetroDuo for the best NES/Super NES compatibility possible. Or use my FC Twin's Super NES board and the Super Joy NOAC(my FC Twin's NES board is dying, so I have to find something to do with its Super NES board if I can't make the NES side work properly again).
there should be a way to mix the outputs with some good ol hacking, I'm thinking of getting a retro duo for playing with, im really upset right now because I just received the LCD screen I ordered off of ebay and the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the driver board is torn, i will have to return it or ask for another.

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Mon May 04, 2009 6:39 pm

in terms of the screen size, go for an LCD backlit one, I'm doing this to avoid having to led mod one of those psone lcds, its more work than it is.