Dual WLOG| The NWES and the NESPSP

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Dark-Aries
Dual WLOG| The NWES and the NESPSP

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm starting two projects, and I figure if I start a work log, it gives me that much more motivation.

The first project is painting an NES to resemble a Wii. Give it a blue led in the cart slot, shove NES controllers inside wiimotes or those wiimote look alike crappy lcd toys, maybe make the controllers wireless somehow, give it a cart slot that won't degrade, etc etc. Not to much work except for the controllers.

The other idea is making my first portable, and putting it inside a spare psp shell I have. I'd paint the psp to look like an NES, it'd look cool why stilling staying small. I'm wondering if I can put in a cart slot or not, mostly likely only famicom, and NES carts are to big.(Or the user can just use a family converter, whatever they want). I have the parts to make the NWES except for the controllers. The PSP I only have a case. No NOAC no nothing. What Noac should I use, best compatibilty, sound etc.

jjhammerstein

Re: Dual WLOG| The NWES and the NESPSP

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm

For the PSP, you have a hell of a job ahead of you. I would recommend using the original battery and controls, just because they're already there and already small. The screen is going to be the hardest part. NES and SNES both are 4:3, the PSP screen hole is widescreen. To fill it, you'll need a lot of bondo, or a screen that isn't the right aspect ratio.

I think you can do it!
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:31 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:For the PSP, you have a hell of a job ahead of you. I would recommend using the original battery and controls, just because they're already there and already small. The screen is going to be the hardest part. NES and SNES both are 4:3, the PSP screen hole is widescreen. To fill it, you'll need a lot of bondo, or a screen that isn't the right aspect ratio.

I think you can do it!

Best case scenario is that I can find a wide screen lcd that pillarboxes the video, if not I try bondoing for the first time. And Ya I'm reusing the buttons and the battery. I'm making a mockup in photoshop of the psp one. It'll be done in maybe half an hour.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 pm

I would consider using a SNESOAC instead. it'll use all the buttons, instead of just some. I don't think you'll fit a cart slot anywhere.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:I would consider using a SNESOAC instead. it'll use all the buttons, instead of just some. I don't think you'll fit a cart slot anywhere.
anywhere but the outside. I placed an NES cart aligned with the bottom edge of a psp, and "playing" the thing wasn't as bad as I thought. The effect would be much better with a famicom game more likely. And I like the SNES idea, but I can buy NOACs locally at my mall for 20 bucks cash. AS my first portable, saving money is a big thing...:(

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Okay. Still, I don't think you'll get a cart slot happening. If you do, take the games out of their cartridges and they get much smaller.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Cart slot will not happen, and the battery needs to be more than a mere 3.6v to run an NOAC and screen. ;)

If you DO go with a cart slot, the entire cart will just be hanging off the top, bottom or back. And by the time you buy an NOAC, screen, and battery, you could have bought a real PSP. ;) A widescreen 4" LCD that will work with an NOAC will run you $40 in quantities of 10 or more, and $60-100 otherwise.

Excellent

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Wow, I totally forgot to even check if it was a high enough voltage. XD
P.S.- Wow, the PSP is a whole lot of computing for not a lot of battery. I'm impressed.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:19 pm

palmertech wrote:Cart slot will not happen, and the battery needs to be more than a mere 3.6v to run an NOAC and screen. ;)

If you DO go with a cart slot, the entire cart will just be hanging off the top, bottom or back. And by the time you buy an NOAC, screen, and battery, you could have bought a real PSP. ;) A widescreen 4" LCD that will work with an NOAC will run you $40 in quantities of 10 or more, and $60-100 otherwise.
I'm gonna use a 4:3 screen and bondo the empty space, that 3.5" deal extreme screen looks fine for the purposes. And where the umd drive is, it opens up to insert either 4 AA batteries, or I'll use a Li-Ion, not sure yet. And the cart will lopp from the bottom of the case, bend 90 degrees, run under the bottom, bend 90 degrees so the cart it back to back with the psp case. It makes it feel as if you're holding a controller and not a slim handheld.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Dark-Aries wrote:
palmertech wrote:Cart slot will not happen, and the battery needs to be more than a mere 3.6v to run an NOAC and screen. ;)

I'm gonna use a 4:3 screen and bondo the empty space, that 3.5" deal extreme screen looks fine for the purpose. And the cart will loop from the bottom of the case, bend 90 degrees, run under the bottom, bend 90 degrees so the cart it back to back with the psp case. It makes it feel as if you're holding a controller and not a slim handheld.
Edit: I'm not that bright. I forgot where the PSP's battery pack is located. I could probably get a better battery pack in there, maybe even cut a hole if I have to so it slides more into the case.

Edit: I decided to make a quick mockup. I started it, then didn't like it, then restarted and this is how it turned out. The grey is a bit to bright but that's the gray that I picked off a picture of an NES.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/732/pspcopy.png

Image is huge, 56k beware.

khaag

Post by khaag » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:19 pm

You should custom-firmware your PSP and just paint it using that colour scheme. Then you can just use emulators on it.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 pm

khaag wrote:You should custom-firmware your PSP and just paint it using that colour scheme. Then you can just use emulators on it.
I don't have a PSP though. I just bought excess parts form this one guy. It's missing the other half of the psp's mobo and then some. I have enough parts to build two complete psp CASES though. I'm painting one and making a portable out of the other.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm

You can get a PSP with a broken UMD drive for under $60 shipped pretty easily.

Excellent

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:59 pm

palmertech wrote:You can get a PSP with a broken UMD drive for under $60 shipped pretty easily.
Where. I got a good UMD drive when I bought the two cases. Might build one, then paint then sell (what I currently do for cash right now)

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:00 pm

Guys, you're missing the point. Why custom firmware a PSP? Why not just load an emulator and ROMs onto a laptop?

Because a NES in a PSP is strange and has so much retro cool factor. I suggest using a OneStation NOAC board.