Grey-black-grey-black

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Robbie Nekoda
Grey-black-grey-black

Post by Robbie Nekoda » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:58 pm

Well I used the lastof my cash to buy a NES. Unfortunately, every NES I could find was the kind where it blinked grey to black over and over when you turn it on. I heard there's a way to fix it.

Is there? :oops:

Niku-Sama

Post by Niku-Sama » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:47 am

a new connector....just search for NES on something like yahoo shopping ('ve seen a lot there) and you'll find one....theyre usually ~$5

Robbie Nekoda

Post by Robbie Nekoda » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:41 am

Ah, of course! x.x

Not too keen on importing though - but this one REALLY needs it. Wel'll see.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:04 pm

This may sound obvious, but have you cleaned the contacts inside the NES?

goodie

Post by goodie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:25 pm

Blinking NES's are the result of worn out connectors. It is a side effect of being a front loader. To fix it, get one of those connectors on eBay. Or better yet, you can get the connector from a Game Genie and wire it to the NES's motherboard. This would work best if making a portable or top-loader.
mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsapoiuytrewq

dajudge

Post by dajudge » Sat May 06, 2006 7:07 pm

is it possible for the screen to blink because of the connectors after you mod the NESp? Mine worked prior to destruction, and ive read this entire forum i think.

chris

dankicksass

Post by dankicksass » Sat May 06, 2006 8:02 pm

Cut the 4th pin on the 10NES lockout chip. It actually causes the on/off cycle. You should also look into the 72 pin ZIF connector replacement, they're under $10.

More info on defeating the 10NES chip, as promised:
http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/copynes/ wrote:

Code: Select all

Preceding information: open your NES, it's very simple.  There are a half dozen or so phillips head screws on the bottom, then the case seperates.  Remove the metal shielding and the spring-loaded cart slider.  The 72-pin ZIF connector comes off with a couple of phillips head screws then.  You will then have the following:
ImageBare NES board, marked in blue on the 10NES
[ ] Cut pin 4 of the lockout chip to disable it. (see below)
Closeup of where pin 4 is. In the picture it has been cut. I cut it with a
pair of fine wire cutters, then pushed it away from the chip. Be careful since it is kinda easy to break the package. This isn't detremental, but it's not too good prolly in the long term.
What this does for you is completely disable copy protection in your NES, effectively turning it back into a Famicom. The late-model revised top-loader official NES does not have this chip at all, so this mod is in no way harmful to your NES, unless you screw it up. ;) This mod will stop the flashing screen, and replacing the 72-pin ZIF connector will help games go into the NES easier and more reliably.
I don't like forum signatures.

dajudge

Post by dajudge » Sun May 07, 2006 11:50 am

That did stop the On/Off, but still grey. I went ahead and ordered a new pin connector as suggested. Thanks a lot for your help.

Chris

MiGs

Post by MiGs » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 pm

I got a NES recently, and was trying it out and got the same cycling of colors (red/blue/green/grey/everything) when I pressed power. I also talked to a guy at my local independent used game store, and he said it was also the connector inside the NES thats messed up, so ya, any update if the new connector fixed it?
Current Status: Single and Portableless.