I just had an idea (Duck Hunt on the Retro Duo)!

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Sun-Wukong
I just had an idea (Duck Hunt on the Retro Duo)!

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Now I'll be honest, I don't have a Retro Duo, so I've never actually tried this, it's just an idea so I won't guarantee it will work. Now that that little disclaimer is out of the way...

Long before I found out about this great place, I visited resident NES-in-a-toaster maker vomitsaw's websitepretty often. One day I read this handy guide about rewiring an SNES controller to work with an NES. Soon afterward I thought, I wonder if you could do that in reverse? Eh, it wouldn't do any good if you could. Now back to the current day, I'm here and I'm reading the thread with information on the Retro Duo. I'm going through the list of compatible games when I see-
lovablechevy wrote:* duck hunt - no way to test
Oh yeah, it's only compatible with SNES controllers. Hey, wait a minute! I think to myself. This idea is pretty self explanatory, so anyone who want's to try it shouldn't have any problems assuming it'll work the way I have in mind. Just rewire the Zapper to connect to a SNES. But for the Retro Duo!

If someone already posted something like this or proof that it won't work and I just missed the memo, I apologize in advance. The same can be said in the event this doesn't work and someone messes up there Zapper or Retro Duo. Like I said, I don't have a Retro Duo, so I have no way of testing it. It's just a hypothesis, so go for it if you want to.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: I just had an idea (Duck Hunt on the Retro Duo)!

Post by bacteria » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Issue is that Duck Hunt (and other light gun games on other systems) were designed to work on old style televisions, not LCD or plasma screens - hence, no way to test now (unless you have an old television still).

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 pm

But wasn't there a light gun for the SNES? I don't see why a zapper wouldn't work rewired; the pinout's basically the same thing.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:34 pm

bacteria wrote:Issue is that Duck Hunt (and other light gun games on other systems) were designed to work on old style televisions, not LCD or plasma screens - hence, no way to test now (unless you have an old television still).
I don't have a single Plasma Screen TV, so it wouldn't present any problem for me.
nevermind1534 wrote:But wasn't there a light gun for the SNES?
If you mean the Super Scope, that wasn't a light gun. It worked more like the pointer in the Wii remote, or *Shudders* the Power Glove.
I don't see why a zapper wouldn't work rewired; the pinout's basically the same thing.
I don't see any reason it wouldnt either, but you can never be too sure. I've never opened one, so... well, you get the idea.

Also, I didn't realize this until after I posted but I pretty much said "Rewire the Zapper to make it work." Doesn't sound that significant when I put it that way... aw well, still seems like it's worth putting out there for people to read.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:22 pm

The method described will not work. The light gun did not use the same 5 pins as the nes controller. It needed the other two pins on the controller port (blue and purple). Those pins are absent on regular snes controllers, so it will not work. However, there are people trying ways to get the light gun to work on the retro duo. In fact, I heard that the company that makes the retro duo is making a special light gun for games like duck hunt.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:39 pm

themadhacker wrote:The method described will not work. The light gun did not use the same 5 pins as the nes controller. It needed the other two pins on the controller port (blue and purple). Those pins are absent on regular snes controllers, so it will not work.
Oh, like the Arkanoid controller. Well, like I said, just a hypothesis.
However, there are people trying ways to get the light gun to work on the retro duo. In fact, I heard that the company that makes the retro duo is making a special light gun for games like duck hunt.
Yeah, I have an FC3plus with a special light gun for NES games.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:54 pm

You know....I have a Super Scope, and old TV, and half of a Retro Duo (SNES part)........hmmmmmm seems some hacking is in order on Monday night :mrgreen:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Rekarp wrote:You know....I have a Super Scope, and old TV, and half of a Retro Duo (SNES part)........hmmmmmm seems some hacking is in order on Monday night :mrgreen:
*Gasp* I inspired Rekarp? I'm walking on sunshine right now.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:But wasn't there a light gun for the SNES?
If you mean the Super Scope, that wasn't a light gun. It worked more like the pointer in the Wii remote, or *Shudders* the Power Glove.
No, it was a lightgun, just more advanced than the NES Zapper. It doesn't use positional data from sensing a separate output device (like the Wii controlers and Power Glove use), instead it seems to use phosphor decay.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 am

Im about a week late on this and you prolly already know it exists but just in case

fc twin zapper