Famicom

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

arfink
Famicom

Post by arfink » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 am

I just discovered this today on PC-World, a teardown of a Famicom. The motherboard is quite small, certainly small enough to make a good portable, one which would also have proper color and sound, unlike NOAC.

It would also make possible, for the first time, a portable Famicom Disk system. I have been thinking of a design for some time now, and I'll probably be getting a famicom soon, for that very reason.

Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm shocked how small that is compared to a NES. But that ribbon cable at the top worries me. I hope that's just the PSU.
Hey, sup?

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Looks like the PSU and RF box.

Looks a lot like the inside of a toploader NES, only a bit less wide.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 pm

that small? That's quite neat. You could make a really small nes portable using authentic hardware that way

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Famicom disk system portable. Hmmm. sounds cool.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

grahf

Post by grahf » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:19 am

I was actually planning to make a wooden Famicom portable, Rekarp style. The board is indeed small, and Famicom carts are super tiny. I'm living in Japan now, and Famicoms are dirt cheap and easy to find, if you don't mind what condition its in, that is. I've seen some REALLY disgusting looking ones :o

And yes, I can confirm that the ribbon cable just goes to the RF box/power supply Its not needed. 5v in and a/v out can be tapped off of the main board.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:34 am

grahf wrote:I was actually planning to make a wooden Famicom portable, Rekarp style. The board is indeed small, and Famicom carts are super tiny. I'm living in Japan now, and Famicoms are dirt cheap and easy to find, if you don't mind what condition its in, that is. I've seen some REALLY disgusting looking ones :o

And yes, I can confirm that the ribbon cable just goes to the RF box/power supply Its not needed. 5v in and a/v out can be tapped off of the main board.
You lucky bastard

I wish I lived in japan! They have so much cool video game related crap, and it's cheap!

grahf

Post by grahf » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:38 am

Yeah, but apartments are SUPER tiny in Tokyo.. I can find just about anything I ever wanted, but I have zero room to keep anything :(
I settle for picking up a few gems here and there.. Actually, of all systems, I picked up a Gameboy Color and have been buying games for that. Gonna do a front light mod on it one day.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Oh yes, everything is small in japan. Did you know that the SNES controller cords are 1m for japan, as opposed to 2m for the rest of the world?

I know this japanese guy from this other forum and he's really jealous that my house has room for a... stove

arfink

Post by arfink » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeesh. Makes my apartment sound like a palace. I guess that's also why the Neo Geo only has 4 foot cables or so on the controllers. Grahf, how big is your place? I don't know how big my apartment is, but it has a front room, kitchen, bathroom, and two bedrooms. I share it with 2 other guys.

grahf

Post by grahf » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:24 am

My entire apartment is about 2 car garage, i suppose. Its tiny, but pretty much all the appliances and stuff are super compact. The average washing machine is about 2/3 the size of an American one, for example. But the cool thing is they are just about the same size on the inside. Oh, and the average washing machine is a dryer combo unit.

I really missing having enough space for a dedicated work station though :(. It sucks having to clean up after spending a few hours working on something :lol:

arfink

Post by arfink » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Well, sounds a bit more like my apartment. I have room for one desk, though it's near to my bed and when I want to do electronics work I just push all my books, etc. onto my bed. Though the kitchen does rock, especially as I love cooking and my two roommates never use it. Everybody in the apartment building shares a common laundry room which has 2 wash and 2 dry.

Also, just wondering, anyone around here get the "deer in headlights" stare when you tell people what projects you're working on, or how much you like the "classic" videogames? I sure do.

NesScotland

Post by NesScotland » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:15 am

arfink wrote:Also, just wondering, anyone around here get the "deer in headlights" stare when you tell people what projects you're working on, or how much you like the "classic" videogames? I sure do.
NES was my dark secret until i found this site :D

ChrisKoopa

Post by ChrisKoopa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:13 am

arfink wrote:Also, just wondering, anyone around here get the "deer in headlights" stare when you tell people what projects you're working on, or how much you like the "classic" videogames? I sure do.
i get that look a lot
ecspically when i say "hey guys you wanna play some galaga"

threedog

Re: Famicom

Post by threedog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Haha, I get the "deer in the headlights" stare aaaaallll the time, but one day I brought my Super Joy III to work and hooked it up in the breakroom, and everyone wanted to play :lol: