My First NES OR SNES portable! Made my mind... First SNES!

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

simon66
My First NES OR SNES portable! Made my mind... First SNES!

Post by simon66 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Oh well it was time for me to finaly build an portable system... I was wonderginf to build a portabe ps3 but since im in a low budget :( in goin to build a nes or snes portable here are some pics.
Here are some item I got from Canadian Tire:
1x Sand Paper (Super Fine . 220 Grit)$2.99
1x Big tube of Spot Putty (The Bondo One) $4.99
1x Lepage epoxy (60 min set time) $5.99
And then I finaly got my Polycase zn-40 series $20 CND
And here are some pics of my case... as you can see my left side is not dried yet (It takes about 1 day to hard dry because i put a lot of it :))
Image[/img]

Still have to get:
1x Retro duo
1x PSOne Screen
And some few things, I cant quite remember....
PS. Sorry if the pics are big... I dont know how to make them smaller...
PSS. Also I used the big tube of Spot Putty for the side of the case. It seemed to do the job at a low price as the 2 poxy putty stick that i was goin to buy for $16 dollars.

Eddit!

Pictures Resized!
Last edited by simon66 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Development center is for SOFTWARE ONLY. Build threads go under the appropriate console forum.

If this is your first time doing anything with electronics, it's far better to start with a cartridge based system than a PS3.

Nice to see you jumping in, though. Good luck.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:31 pm

i hate to break it to you, but using spot putty for major gaps and such is not going to work. it's for filling in fine cracks and that's about it. it's soft and breaks extremely easily. it is not meant for anything structural.

trust me, you will want to redo all of that with epoxy.

there are sticks of epoxy that are not all that expensive. mighty putty runs at a good price and works really well. there are also several types in auto shops and such.

also another hint when working with the spot putty. when you do use it (as a finishing touch to make sure everything is smooth), you'll want to use super light layers. if it is put on too thick, it will simply crack. the best results from using spot putty are to use very light layers and sand between them until the area is completely smooth.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

simon66

Post by simon66 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Tibia wrote:Development center is for SOFTWARE ONLY. Build threads go under the appropriate console forum.

If this is your first time doing anything with electronics, it's far better to start with a cartridge based system than a PS3.

Nice to see you jumping in, though. Good luck.
Thnx for the tip... I think im goin to buy the epoxy stick because some places I see cracks...

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:48 pm

hey buddy, do you mind resizing some of those pictures? They're huge!
all I can say is good luck, I have never messed around with these consoles, and I hope that you finish!
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:55 pm

those pictures don't fit my screen.

simon66

Re: My First NES OR SNES portable!

Post by simon66 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Well almost after a year I though I would finaly finish my portable... Here are some updates... No much but still something. I still have to sand down the top part. Is too much sanding. My arms are hurting. :)

As you can see the left side of the case cracked like lovablechevy said. Im trying to figure out how to remove the right side and fill it with bonding putty.

I cut the top part to fit in my case. Now I just need to know how to adjust the brightnes again -.-"

Here are the part from the screen. I put in the bad incase dust got in.

And here is my screen mounted. I forgot to put the buttons in the bottom.

Now I just need to fix the sides, buy a retro duo and some other stuffs.

Were I sanded does fell nice and soft :)

IRisH360

Post by IRisH360 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 pm

if you plan on cutting up a snes controller and bondo-ing the pieces into your case you should probably do that before you fill in those gaps

simon66

Post by simon66 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 pm

IRisH360 wrote:if you plan on cutting up a snes controller and bondo-ing the pieces into your case you should probably do that before you fill in those gaps

True true... Im going to send that front plate to polycase so that they can make me a new one. I chiped the bottom part of the screen by accident.

Ill post some pics soon.

simon66

Post by simon66 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Finaly after a while of havingmy portable laying around I ordered my batteryes and charger ($140CAD if your wondering) It should be here next week or so. I bought a retro duo long time ago, tried to remove the catrigage slot, but i was unsuccesfull. Not I just got another one for 30 which should be here also by next week.

Will I finaly finish my portable? After 1 whole year? I hope so. Cant believe it has been 1 year O.o

BTW. I bought 2 10ah batt (10000mAh!!!), which should make my portablelast for like 7hours or so? Im not sure.

simon66

Post by simon66 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Fewww.... Finaly got my controllers to work! Here's a demo!

I got a 5700mah instead. Much cheaper!

simon66

Re: My First NES OR SNES portable! Made my mind... First SNES!

Post by simon66 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:55 pm

Can mod move this to the snes section? Thnx.

Update coming soon