New 72-pin connector design

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

bluej774
New 72-pin connector design

Post by bluej774 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 pm

I have an idea for a design for a 72-pin connector similar to those you can find on eBay and Nintendo Repair Shop amongst other places, but it would improve reliability and can be installed in any model one gray toaster style NES. However, I don't have connections to anyone who can manufacture or prototype my design.

Can anyone recommend anyone? I'd be willing to share any profits made from the manufacture of my design.

Also, who is making the ones for sale at the aforementioned places, anyway?

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:10 am

I don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind, but I built something like that a while back using two original NES connectors and a game genie connector. Makes the system work more like a "top-loader" and installs just like the regular replacement connectors.

Check it out: http://www.stupidfingers.com/projects/super72/

I LOVE to see it mass-produced, but like you, I wouldn't know where to start looking.

bluej774

Post by bluej774 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:01 pm

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. It looks like yours sticks out a little further than the original connector. A mass-produced version wouldn't need to. Also, there would need to be a couple of little pegs to insert inside the springs on the cartridge caddy to keep people from trying to lock down the caddy. That wouldn't be pretty for the cart or the connector.

I wonder who I'd have to talk to in order to get our designs produced...?

tjcarter

Post by tjcarter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:03 am

I think a mass-produced version should allow the cart to be pushed down.

In fact, if I were refitting a toaster, I'd want to install a leaf switch or something that would make the thing fail to operate until you did so.