NES 2

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:24 am

Quetzalcoatlus wrote:
Bibin wrote: Ever heard of "that's an obnoxious that adds extra time to a project that could easily not require this"?
In order to get the original NES board close to the width of the NES2's board, you would have to get rid of the huge plastic cartridge slot assembly and solder on a different cartridge slot anyway, so that's a moot point. And no matter how much you cut down the original NES board, it will still be significantly longer than an unmodified NES 2 board, as seen here:
THANK YOU!!!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:30 am

Quetzalcoatlus: Thanks for posting those pics. That answered a few questions I had. Much obliged, man.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:42 am

Rekarp wrote:
I tried epoxying the cart slot once but I found the kind I bought was to brittle and didn't allow enough "flex" so it would crack at the metal joint. What brand do you recommend?
You have to use Flexible Bumper Repair Epoxy. It bonds with plastic and allows it to flex.

If you have an Automobile Paint Supply Store they should have different brands. 3m makes one and so does Dynatron. But the kind I use is from USC , Urethane Supply Company. I use the 2020-T Hardset filler for filler when I need to fill spaces and then the 2000-T Flex Filler 2 for the areas where I need flexibility.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... ode=2020-T

http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... ode=2000-T

Also this stuff works MUCH better than Bondo which can/will crack when flexed. So I also use this for case construction.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:45 am

hailrazer wrote:
Rekarp wrote:
I tried epoxying the cart slot once but I found the kind I bought was to brittle and didn't allow enough "flex" so it would crack at the metal joint. What brand do you recommend?
You have to use Flexible Bumper Repair Epoxy. It bonds with plastic and allows it to flex.

If you have an Automobile Paint Supply Store they should have different brands. 3m makes one and so does Dynatron. But the kind I use is from USC , Urethane Supply Company. I use the 2020-T Hardset filler for filler when I need to fill spaces and then the 2000-T Flex Filler 2 for the areas where I need flexibility.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... ode=2020-T

http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... ode=2000-T

Also this stuff works MUCH better than Bondo which can/will crack when flexed. So I also use this for case construction.
Going to use this stuff on the portable I am working on now. Thanks Hailrazer
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Personally I'd like to see a portablized NES2. Original hardware 4TW.

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:50 am

My God, I'm loving this.

People, the NES2/Top-Loader is NOT some freaking holy relic! Yeah there might not be quite as many of them out there, and yeah people jack the prices up on ebay, but other than that there's really no reason NOT to rip it apart and mod it. I'll list off some pros and cons of ripping apart an NES2:

PROS
- Physically the smallest TRUE NES. (No craptacular NOACs). Perfect for building a fully compatible portable.
- Excellent cart. connector included!

CONS
- A simple mod is necessary to get composite AV.
- Video signal still not quite as clean as the toaster, but pretty darn good anyhow. Only the pickiest of eyeballs will notice.

Truth be told, I was minutes away from slaughtering my own NES2 for science, but just sold it on ebay instead. Size wasn't terribly important at the time and it ended up being more useful to me as an extra $80.

In short... Ignore the naysayers, just hack the darn thing up and mod it. Jesus won't cry, I promise.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:41 pm

I still want the shell from it, I just want a NOAC of my own to look like a original. :P

NixonTech2071

Post by NixonTech2071 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:34 am

I have one but with original NES controllers
I cant hack yet... But I can help with "LazyMods"!!!

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:50 pm

I had one of the NES 2 when I was younger (we went through a few NES's, my brothers and I were teething at the time, the cords were nice...). After I got the N64 my parents made me give it to my cousins (said we had too many games, as if there is such a thing). My cousins immediately pawned it with our 15 or so games. That was a sad, sad day in my childhood.... :(
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Spyder12587 wrote:I had one of the NES 2 when I was younger (we went through a few NES's, my brothers and I were teething at the time, the cords were nice...). After I got the N64 my parents made me give it to my cousins (said we had too many games, as if there is such a thing). My cousins immediately pawned it with our 15 or so games. That was a sad, sad day in my childhood.... :(
you poor thing... although its parents like yours that fuel my collection :)

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:14 am

Hahaha, yeah. It was then that I decided to find a way to buy my own games, that way they couldn't make me get rid of them. Got a pretty sweet babysitting job right across the street. Like 7 hours a night, 5-6 days a week, $5/hour. If only I'd been a little older, a little sooner I may have been able to save my poor NES 2 from it's cruel fate....

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Spyder12587 wrote:Hahaha, yeah. It was then that I decided to find a way to buy my own games, that way they couldn't make me get rid of them. Got a pretty sweet babysitting job right across the street. Like 7 hours a night, 5-6 days a week, $5/hour. If only I'd been a little older, a little sooner I may have been able to save my poor NES 2 from it's cruel fate....
they used to buy you games? I take that back! we've had to buy everything ourselves including our very first console.

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:26 pm

I didn't have a way to make money until then, lol. Kinda hard to make money from ages 3-10. Birthdays and Christmas we got games, occasionally for good grades or not killing each other, but those were few and far between (not that I didn't get good grades but rather my parents just expected them).

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:43 pm

God dammit! I saw one of these at a gamestore a couple months ago for $25. I should have picked it up. :(