Paint an NES

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

phiberosmosis
Paint an NES

Post by phiberosmosis » Mon May 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Looking to Paint my NES Solid Black. I am going to add a stencil that has a logo into it. I was hopping for some pointers. I know we should prime and then wet sand? this will be my first time doing this. Does anyone know what paint is the best to use here? thank you everyone

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 pm

definitly should ask Custom NES Dude some stuff

he does some great looking console paint jobs
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Mister X

Post by Mister X » Mon May 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Krylon Fusion. I used it on the back shell of a GBA, and it held fast for YEARS of constant pocket storage and removal. I probably didn't even let it cure properly.

I used it on a Dreamcast pad, and it wouldn't even come off when -sanded-. Why was I sanding it? Well, impatience again, and I screwed up the paint by using the controller before it cured. So the sandpaper only took off the paint that had become gummy from my messing with it. Everything else held fast. Repainted the sanded areas, and let it cure for a month. Now it's just about bulletproof.

I recommend satin finish, it looks the most like actual plastic, not some glossy pile of crap, or LOOK AT ALL THE FINGER MARKS matte.

Sigh, I need more NES systems. Sold my last non-broken one. The only ones I have left are my primary NES, and some cigarette-burned pile of hideous crap. People are unkind, and finding 20+ year old game systems at yardsales is becoming more and more rare of an event.

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:12 am

Mister X wrote:Krylon Fusion...
Seconded. I believe it more stains the plastic surface instead of just piling up on top like regular paint. I've used satin black and green so far, both are excellent.

Mister X

Post by Mister X » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 am

Again I must state: LET IT CURE. And apply the paint in VERY thin layers. You do not want it pooling at all, or it will crack and wrinkle. There are many guides available on spray painting. Nothing fancy for Fusion, it just adheres to plastic much better than your typical sprays.
This is the internet. It means nothing. Don't believe otherwise.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Use masking tape instead of a homemade stencil. Paint has a way of getting under a stencil and making your image a little blurred around the edges.

Also, do what Mister X said and let it cure before putting masking tape on it. I learned the hard way that you can tear up paint with masking tape if you try hard enough. Rushing a paint job is the fastest way to have to redo a paint job.