NES not starting...solid red screen, game doesn't load

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
NES not starting...solid red screen, game doesn't load

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Soup Up NES
After following Ben's guide for disabling the NES's lockout chip, I half-fixed my problem...Originally I had a flashing red screen when I started my NES; after this mod, it doesn't flash but stays constant.

Two questions:
1. I have a strong feeling that the cartridge connector is bad. Is there a way to prove that this is the case?

2. How would I know if this NES is dead? Ketchup gave it to me after he tried to get it working, so it might be completely dead.

This NES has a future in a NES portable...if I can get it working.
Last edited by jdmlight on Mon May 12, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Mine will often do the solid red screen, and mine is unmodded. It's almost always a matter of a bad connection. I've seen the new connectors on e-Bay for like $3 (I've got one coming, actually), so try that. It's not too expensive.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Tue May 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Tibia wrote:Mine will often do the solid red screen, and mine is unmodded. It's almost always a matter of a bad connection. I've seen the new connectors on e-Bay for like $3 (I've got one coming, actually), so try that. It's not too expensive.
I'm wondering if I should buy a new original NES cartridge connector or do something like Ben did on that page (link in first post) and hack together my own connector (that's not ZIF). Considering that this NES is destined for a portable anyway, that might make the most sense.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 9:37 pm

jdmlight wrote:I'm wondering if I should buy a new original NES cartridge connector or do something like Ben did on that page (link in first post) and hack together my own connector (that's not ZIF). Considering that this NES is destined for a portable anyway, that might make the most sense.
The new originals slide on the end of the mobo, just like the one in there now. There are solder-on ones available, and I believe Ben made his out of some old computer card slots. I just ordered the new U-shaped one because it's going to solve the problem in the simplest way.

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Mine was giving me similar problems so I used the bent pin method to bend the connectors up. I also got all the corrosion off the existing pins. It works much better now, there are still some occasional problems, but I assume it is because my games are dirty from all the blowing I did growing up.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 10:08 pm

I've heard mixed reports about the bent pin method. Some say it's harmless, some say it damages the conductors in the games. In any case, I desperately need to spring on some gamebits so I can open all my carts and clean them thoroughly.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu May 08, 2008 3:39 pm

Tibia wrote:I've heard mixed reports about the bent pin method. Some say it's harmless, some say it damages the conductors in the games. In any case, I desperately need to spring on some gamebits so I can open all my carts and clean them thoroughly.
I'd bet that it has to do with how much you bend the pins. If you bend the pins too far, they will damage the NES cartridge. However, if you take your time and bend them a little at a time until your game works, you shouldn't have any problems.

Gonna try this later tonight.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

jdmlight wrote:I'd bet that it has to do with how much you bend the pins. If you bend the pins too far, they will damage the NES cartridge. However, if you take your time and bend them a little at a time until your game works, you shouldn't have any problems.

That's what Bicostp told me on another thread. That's definitely encouraged me to try this. If I get done with other things, I might give it a go too. Please let me know how yours goes.

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed May 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Tibia wrote:
jdmlight wrote:I'd bet that it has to do with how much you bend the pins. If you bend the pins too far, they will damage the NES cartridge. However, if you take your time and bend them a little at a time until your game works, you shouldn't have any problems.

That's what Bicostp told me on another thread. That's definitely encouraged me to try this. If I get done with other things, I might give it a go too. Please let me know how yours goes.
Does anyone know how to bend the top pins of the cart connector? I can see all of the bottom pins and have rebent them into shape, but I can't find the top pins. Are they recessed or something?

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Thu May 15, 2008 5:31 am

Take a look here

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 pm

:cry:
Pin bending got me exactly nowhere. The only thing that I managed to do was waste a decent amount of time. :roll:

Is there any way that I can test to see if the NES itself is dead? I don't want to buy a cart connector on eBay just to find out that something else was wrong...

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Sat May 17, 2008 1:10 pm

If the light is on it is getting power
if the image is good and colored(any color) the system is fine
if you can only get a colored screen no matter what you do that means the connector is dirty.

Out of ~40 NESs this has always been the case, of those only one was unrepairable.

The easiest way to fix this problem is with really fine grit sandpaper to clean the connectors and roughen them a little so it also scratches the games a little. Giving you a good connection and bending the pins if needed helps.
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat May 17, 2008 7:14 pm

kidw/32+systems wrote:If the light is on it is getting power
if the image is good and colored(any color) the system is fine
if you can only get a colored screen no matter what you do that means the connector is dirty.

Out of ~40 NESs this has always been the case, of those only one was unrepairable.

The easiest way to fix this problem is with really fine grit sandpaper to clean the connectors and roughen them a little so it also scratches the games a little. Giving you a good connection and bending the pins if needed helps.
Darn me being such a cheaparse and not simply buying a new connector...

I'll try the sanding method and see where I get.

xtrmgam3r360

Post by xtrmgam3r360 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:59 pm

jdmlight wrote: Darn me being such a cheaparse and not simply buying a new connector...

I'll try the sanding method and see where I get.
I'm having the same problem so let me know how this goes.

snakerbot

Post by snakerbot » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:56 am

This topic is about a week old, but I thought I should add my experiences to it. I bent the bottom row of pins up on my nes and it didn't work unless I didn't push the cart down, but left it up. It was also harder to push it in. Try that if you can't get it to work.