Problem with an NES connector

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

battra92
Problem with an NES connector

Post by battra92 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Currently I have a top loading NES collecting dust. Sadly, games just don't seem to work on it any more and the problem appears to be that the connector is pretty corroded. I bought it at a tag sale so I can only guess what sort of abuse this thing got.

Any advice on where to get a new and proper connector for this?

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:31 pm

You might be able to get one from a Game Genie or a Family Converter. It might be able to work. That or maybe a good cleaning could fix it.
Meh, I don't post much.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:45 pm

I might also be interested in it.

battra92

Post by battra92 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:30 am

jedi knight wrote:You might be able to get one from a Game Genie or a Family Converter. It might be able to work. That or maybe a good cleaning could fix it.
I took your advice and bought a can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack. We shall see how it goes.

vomitsaw

Post by vomitsaw » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:39 am

One easy trick you might want to try: Get your hands on some thick stock/paper (poster board or whatever) and cut out a piece about as wide as the cart. slot or smaller. You can also use regular old printer paper if you fold it over a few times. Anyway... Stick it in, pull it out. Stick it in, pull it out. Stick it in, pull it out. ...It's not quite as fun as it sounds, but it usually helps. :wink: The paper usually pulls out quite a bit of crud. Just be careful not to get too carried away (or use really wimpy paper), because you DON'T want any of the paper to rip/break off inside the connector. I do this trick on pretty much EVERY connector I work with (NES/SNES/Genesis/Atari) and it almost always helps. Worth a try since it sounds like your connector is already messed up, and hey, it won't cost ya a dime.

battra92

Post by battra92 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice. First I tried the cardboard and that pulled a lot of dirt or something out but it still was that grey screen. Then I squirted the contact cleaner on there (and it made a crackling freezing noise like a Dentyne Ice commercial. Then cardboard again after a few minutes to let it do its stuff.

It works now. ;) Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for my modding needs since I don't feel so enthusiastic about ripping apart a *working* top loader.