Edutainment's NOACP Progress Thread (first portable)

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Edutainment
Edutainment's NOACP Progress Thread (first portable)

Post by Edutainment » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:29 pm

I've finally decided to make a portable. As you can see in my signature I've got the Super Joy III and XBox Hip Gear ScreenPad. I'll put all my progress in this thread.

Next steps:
-Get better at soldering, if my xbox cont. to USB mod is any evidence, i suck at soldering (it works but its ugly), I'll go about this by buying a few kits and soldering random crap and whatnot
-Get a 72 pin connector or adapter and make SJ3 play American (Canadian) cartridges (when I feel I'm good enough at soldering to do so) or I could just ask one of you kind folks to do so for me :lol: 'cause I don't want one simple thing to ruin the whole project.

I want it to be as close to the size of the nPod as I can get it. Because it's my first portable I understand I should make the case fit around my portable as opposed to making the guts fit inside a tight case, so we'll see about that.

I might just leave the Famicom cart slot in there because I'm not good enough at soldering to successfully solder 72 small pins without any slip ups. I can always get Famicom carts from eBay :lol:

Any suggestions, tips, or pointers before I go on? :lol:

Important questions:
1. dumb question, never mind.
2. What do each of these wires do? It would really help. Pinout please!

Stuff I need help with:
The only thing I really need to know before I start, which I want to do as soon as possible (like now), is how to get the Hip Gear to run on batteries. I want to use the Hip Gear speakers too. I don't know the pinout, or which wire is which.

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:40 am

The Hip Gear speakers use a 7808, so you need at least 8 volts to power the speakers. It might just be better to buy another speaker from Radio Shack or whatever, and hook that up. BUT if you want to use the speakers, you hook up your power to the orange wire, and ground the green wire. These wires are on the plug which also holds the grey ribbon cable. That powers the screen. Then, to get audio, you would connect the red and white wires together and connect them to the SJIII audio source. The black wire would also be grounded.

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:47 pm

So how many AAs do you think this would take, excluding the 4 for the SJIII?

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:35 am

Well, if you didn't use the Hip Gear speakers, you could power the whole thing off 4 AAs, like I did for my NESp. I think the 7808 knocks down the 12v coming from the wall adaptor to 8v for the audio amp, but ladyada's info says that the audio amp works from 6v-20v. I'd suggest putting 6v through the orange wire, as I suggested before, and seeing if you can get any sound out of the speakers.

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:38 am

4 AAs? Rad! I was just looking for the easiest root, but in the long run 4 AAs will be more convenient. This may be a noob question, but how do I run both halves on the same batteries?

EDIT: My project seems to be at a stand still, so far I have a XBox Hip Gear (controller and screen not connected), a Super Joy III and 2 4-AA battery cases sitting on an encyclopedia. What do I do next? :lol:

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm at it again. I don't know where I should start... any advice?

RezCrimson

Post by RezCrimson » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:44 pm

read the Game Grrl page... all of it. Do a google search to find it. She'll pretty much bring you up to speed.

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:28 pm

My SuperFuntronIII looks different than Ada's and most I've seen on the forums. Most have two epoxy drops on the board. Mine only has one, and like a separate, raised chip... I'll take a picture when I get some time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I gots two epoxy drops. Methinks the solder is effecting my memory. But it does look different. Pics coming soon. Also, yesterday it was showing the startup screen (black screen with two letters, FC I think but I forgot) now it is not. I hope I didn't kill the FunJoy.

EDIT: I didn't kill the FundomIV. It turns out the test lead I was using was broken.

Here are photos:

http://ziggystardustmedicaldoctor.googlepages.com/1.JPG

http://ziggystardustmedicaldoctor.googlepages.com/2.JPG

http://ziggystardustmedicaldoctor.googlepages.com/3.JPG

ladayada's page: http://www.ladyada.net/make/gamegrrl/make.html

Oh and new problem that I hope I'm wrong about. I see the FH title screen, but when I press Start, it doesn't goto the game list. Did I kill it?

And what does the switch in picture 1 (under red oval) do?

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:39 pm

well, I'm preatty noobish, but I'm fairly certain that the switch turns the built in games on and off, and activates the cart slot.
\

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:01 pm

They all are a bit different as they are crafted by individual dyslexic chimpanzees that drop dead after each one due to lead solder inhaling. As we all know, all chimps solder in a different style, but as there is a new chimp per SJIII, the style is not consistent.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:14 pm

I think my chimp died before he soldered mine.
\

jeep

Post by jeep » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 am

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Take a look to my thread, I used the exact same NOAC and the same screen.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?p=143500#143500

Here's the full pinout !

Jeep :wink:

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Well, if you wanted to get around the 7808 issue, build your own amp. It's easy enough, and all you really need for those little speakers is a single transistor.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Do I need the half with the controller/AV out? Can I just chop that off?