NES Questions/Help

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3
NES Questions/Help

Post by vskid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am

I got an untested NES from a thrift store for $5. I searched the whole store for a controller and game, but they didn't have any (every time I don't need something, they have it!). So now I have just the NES itself and I'm not sure if it works. I gave it power after I took it apart and figured out the polarity of the adapter jack, and was greeted by the led blinking. I'm assuming that that means it will work and run games, right?
I was also wanting to mod its guts so I can use the case for other things, maybe put the bottom half of a laptop in it and painting it.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:38 am

The blinking LED means it doesn't read the game correctly (or you don't have on in) so it sounds like it's working.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:56 am

Rellizate wrote:The blinking LED means it doesn't read the game correctly (or you don't have on in) so it sounds like it's working.
Ok, thats what I hoped. Now I need to sell my iPod so I can get some games and controllers.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:32 pm

NES uses AC power input, so there is no polarity on the input :P
Anyways, sounds like it's working, lucky you :P

vskid

Post by vskid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:37 pm

gannon wrote:NES uses AC power input, so there is no polarity on the input :P
Anyways, sounds like it's working, lucky you :P
Isn't it no polarity as in it won't explode if I wire it backwards but only works with DC one way? Doesn't it have a diode so that the AC is changed to DC, so you still have to get the polarity right if using a DC power source?

Retromaster
Portablizer

Post by Retromaster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:51 pm

yup. the LED blinking means it isnt reading the cartridge.

yah, I can never get an nes game to play without spending 5 minutes shoving the cartridge in the slot.

thrift stores are not game stores really.
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

vskid

Post by vskid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:31 pm

Retromaster wrote:thrift stores are not game stores really.
I know, but its usually a lot cheaper to get my old skool stuff there than anywhere else.
So when the cartridge slot is messed up and bent out of shape, can you visibly tell and notice it right off the bat?

Retromaster
Portablizer

Post by Retromaster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:37 pm

sometimes carts have bent pins. thats cause of nintendos stupid design to have 'zero insertion force', when I have to shove the damn thing in there.

or, the pins are eroded away.

or, if you can figure out a way to open it, just look around the insides. use your multimeter to test out the chips.

ive yet to open one.

or if you hear rattling inside.
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

TitaniumHamster

Post by TitaniumHamster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Ok, If your NES has the old case of the blinkies, you can purchase a replacement Zero-Incertion Force pin set that was actually built in this century online. It's worth it. Or you could (If you like soldering) try Ben's Hard drive cable hack, which is double cool. See his "Super" Nintendo page for more info.
" ! "

vskid

Post by vskid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:58 pm

TitaniumHamster wrote:Ok, If your NES has the old case of the blinkies, you can purchase a replacement Zero-Insertion Force pin set that was actually built in this century online. It's worth it. Or you could (If you like soldering) try Ben's Hard drive cable hack, which is double cool. See his "Super" Nintendo page for more info.
No, I don't have any games yet, I was just checking that the blinking led was a good sign.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:01 pm

Its like trying to see if a snes wll work w/o a game.

Kinda hard to do.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;