NOAC ROM/Cart switch.

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

figmentfilm
NOAC ROM/Cart switch.

Post by figmentfilm » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Connecting pins 1 and 60(?) on the famicom cart will disable the rom. I'm using a famicom/nes adapter that connect these ports... and it's actually pretty important in my case design (and so is not removable)
The idea here is to throw a game mode select switch in... I'm just looking for the best way to do so.
This is off a Supermegahappyfuntimejoypad.
My general idea is to scrape off a small section of the trace on the PCB, toss on a wire and throw in a switch for pin 1... I was just wondering if any other porterizers had done something similar yet?
Thanks

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:23 am

There were people who were going to do this, but never did, as the Family Converter was completely removable in their design. From the sound of it, yours is going to be mounted, no?

Actually, I recommend getting a 72 pin cart connector off of Ebay and following the notes in the sticky to simply solder in the 72 pin. That way, it would run American games natively, and you could always go back and play the ROMs by simply not connecting pins 1 and 60. Unless, of course, you really want to play Famicom games for some reason, I'd say that's the best route.

Good luck!
CTFan :wink:

figmentfilm

Post by figmentfilm » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:08 am

Yeah, the mount is pretty important in the design, which sounds stupid, lol. I'll just scrape the trace for pin 60 (which from memory is a broader ground trace) and throw up a switch. Still waiting on the new NOAC to come in... I bricked the old one with a 12v PSU, a 7805, and shaky hands. Who knew, right? It still almost works though, lol.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:23 am

figmentfilm

Post by figmentfilm » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:23 am

If you're using a famicom adaptor, you'll find two pairs of pins on the rear of the board that are connected right on the card connector. Scrape off the lead between them, throw it into a DPST and viola :)

davicoro

Post by davicoro » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:28 am

you can use a micro switch like the one that came on the dvd rooms so the switch is pressed only when you insert the cartridge. that way the internal rooms are disabled only when it have a game inserted.

:wink: