My portable NES - uh... help, please?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

arfink

Post by arfink » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:12 pm

Hmmmm. I beleive the idea here is that the 7805 is a voltage regulator. You need 7.2 volts or higher to power the 7805. The 7 volts goes into the pin marked for input, you connect the negative side of the battery to the ground pin of the 7805, and hook the +5v pin of the 7805 to the NES mobo. BTW, if you have tried to input anything other than 5 volts to the nes mobo itself you most probably have fried the thing. You may be abe to jump the fuse, but I cannot assure you that your mobo will still work if you have put anything higher than 5 volts into it. BTW, if you want a good explaination of how to begin with this kind of project I would recomend either reading Ben heckendorn's origional Atari 2600 how-to on his website, or going to barns'n'noble and just reading part of his book while you are there. Then, put the book back on the shelf and leave, with the knowledge in your head, and no need to pay for the book.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:05 am

I made it work with a 9v battery :D then the battery connector broke :( so now I have to tear up an old uber-cheap walkie-talkie to get a new one :twisted:
<(im_an_alien)>
24 year old computer ftw!

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Well, I s'pose if I'm bumpng my own 1 year old topic it's ok, right? :P

Anyway, I randomly picked this up again. I've got a few questions now...

1) Where do I find a guide on removing the RF whateverit'scalled?
2) After I remove it, hohw do I get composite video/audio and where do I put +5 volts
3) If I just totally leave the reset button off (who needs it? just flip the power on and off) and the power LED, will it still run right, or do I have todo anything ese?
4) I pulled the pin on the lockout chip, but now it's just a solid blue screen instead of a flashing one... what now?
<(im_an_alien)>

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:33 pm

4) according to ben's guide, solder it to ground.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Thanks, but I'll do that later. I already burned my finger on a soldering iron once today, trying to solder the controller... I'm not too interested in soldering anymore :P
<(im_an_alien)>

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:19 pm

w00t, I just got the most awesome idea (and made it, too). I'm using a playstation analog stick! I've got it already made, too. When you push on the analog stick, it tilts and pushes the buttons. Pics coming soon.

edit: I made an attempt to solder the 4th pin on the lockout chip to ground, but only managed to resolder it to the mobo where it used to be :P
<(im_an_alien)>

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:18 pm

And I thought it was impossible to fry an NES :P *runs off to find a new one*

edit: no, only video is fried... the power light comes on, but no video signal. Any ideas what's wrong with it/how to fix? Or should I just buy a new one?
<(im_an_alien)>

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:54 pm

uh... bump?
<(im_an_alien)>

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:22 pm

Buy a new one, as most likely the video chip is fried.

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Thank you for replying... I'll just do that... or maybe, I'll just give up and do an atari. or a c64 laptop. I dunno. I haven't gotten much done on it anyway, so if I drop the project I'd be willing to sell my messily soldered mod of the controller (I cut the cord and soldered the controller wires directly to the connector that plugs into the mobo) :P
<(im_an_alien)>

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm

do a snes. It's a little bit easier. Also try and learn more of the basics. No offense but you got a lot to learn :wink: . (not that i'm an expert)

arfink

Post by arfink » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:53 pm

No, don't discourage the man! The NES rocketh very much! I found out most of my electronics knowledge fixing and working on NES units. What you should do if you want to learn more is find a friend who says his NES isn't working, because 10 to 1 he just has a messed up 72 pin cartridge slot. Then, fix the slot and experiment away! I ran my GBA over with a lawn mower but I still had two other games which still worked, and the game store only wanted to give me 5 bucks, but I had a cousin who traded me his NES for the carts. See if anyone local or related to you wants to give you one. If you want practice soldering, go to a local thrift store and buy any cheap old electronic device, like a phone or an old radio or something and open it up and practice your soldering skills. That's what I did.

Necroyeti

Post by Necroyeti » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:33 am

im_an_alien wrote:And I thought it was impossible to fry an NES :P *runs off to find a new one*

edit: no, only video is fried... the power light comes on, but no video signal. Any ideas what's wrong with it/how to fix? Or should I just buy a new one?
When the system would turn on beba blue and flashing, it was because of two things; the blue is because the 72 pin connector is probably old and worn, so it isn't picking up any game, and the flashing part is because of the lockout chip. The lockout chip basically freaks out and keeps reseting the console if it doesn't detect a cartridge. What you most likely need to do now is fix the 72 pin connector (use a safety pin, and use that to pull up on all the pins until the connector is much tighter and holds the cartridge), or just spend a few bucks and buy a brand new one. That should get your NES back up and running.

arfink

Post by arfink » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:33 pm

What do you mean by saying it
turn on beba blue and flashing
I don't get it at all. What is beba blue? Are you trying to describe that the screen is some color maybe? and blinking?

Necroyeti

Post by Necroyeti » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:47 pm

arfink wrote:What do you mean by saying it
turn on beba blue and flashing
I don't get it at all. What is beba blue? Are you trying to describe that the screen is some color maybe? and blinking?
What the.... I guess that's what happens when I'm typing after staying up all night.

I think "beba" is supposed to be "be".... I think. Or I was just really copulate tired and going crazy.