Cleaning the connector

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Cleaning the connector

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:57 pm

I have two connetors for NES mobo, does anyone have any ideas on cleaning it. I'm rather sure its just dirty as thats the couse of the blinking light I've read.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

someone

Post by someone » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:07 pm

besides getting a nes-cleaning-kit? is the connector currently attached to the nes? if not, i would suggest soaking it in soapy water (perferably grease-cutting detergant because its strong) overnight and then rinceing it out. If you think it could handle it, you could soak it in rubbing-alcohol for a bit!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:11 pm

I've removed them, I switched them to see if I could get ther NES working. The soaking it in to soapy water sound good, the rubbing alcohol thing is well I read that it damages the pastice.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

someone

Post by someone » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:14 pm

yeah, i would say soaking them in water is your safer bet becuase the alcohol can corrode some types of plastic.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:02 pm

The soap can also rudt you use 71% or lower Isoprprol alcohol and let it air dry for 3 hours before replacing

someone

Post by someone » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:06 pm

The soap can also rudt
???

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:07 pm

rust it but only the original ones the new ones are gold plated

someone

Post by someone » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:08 pm

oohhhh! you ment rust not whatever you put.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:11 am

So I did this a few years ago and it really cleaned off anything. I used 95% ethanol to clean it personally, but I think my method was what really did it.

I put the connector in a piece of tupperware and added the alcohol.
I then let it soak for an hour or so.
After an hour, I took the container and began to shake it for about thirty minutes while I killed some time in front of my tv.
I did this a few times, changing the alcohol because a lot of stuff came out of the connector.
After a few cycles, I let it airdry for an hour so that most of the alcohol would evaporate.
I then used a hairdryer to evaporate most of the water. After that, I set it in some paper towels so that any residual water would fall and be absorbed that way.

It worked quite well for me and I haven't had to do it to my connector in the three years I've had this NES.

I do not recommend using rubbing alcohol because when someone else tried this method with it, a white powdery substance started to form on the contacts. It was easily removable with water so nothing too bad. I dont think there is a need to spend money on the gold plated contact, because eventually the gold plating will come off and you'll be back to before. Just make sure your carts stay clean. ^_^

-nk

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:43 am

why ethanol The white substance are cotton swabs residue I soaked mine like you did I bought a new connecter in the long run though I mean $3 and an easy fix