NOAC with scrambled video? *I hate NOACs*

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

atkafighter
NOAC with scrambled video? *I hate NOACs*

Post by atkafighter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Hey everyone!
I know this is getting old, but I have a problem. I have wired up a 72pin cart slot to the NOAC, but the video I get is garbage.
Here are some pictures of what I have:
You can almost make out Super Mario Land, but you certainly can't play it.
Any suggestions?
Last edited by atkafighter on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loup

Post by loup » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:58 pm

I had a similar thing happen with my original NOAC that I tried turning into a portable. I had accidentally cut a trace on the NOAC. My guess is you've either cut a trace or have a short somewhere. Look at all your solder points very closely and check to make sure the solder is only connecting the things you want it to connect, and check to make sure all your wires are going to the right places.
From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:35 pm

I'd have to say that it wasn't wired right. can you provide some more details on how you did it? like, did you use a diagram, if so which one?

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:12 pm

Check simple things.

Try hooking it up to a TV, does it still do it?

Check cart wiring, and check for loose connections.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 pm

Maybe it's the game :?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:25 pm

Looks like there's a short or missing wire on the CHR pins. The game code seems to be working but the character information isn't getting transferred right. You'll have to look up the pinouts for a NES cart and start checking connections for the CHR bits.

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,
I used Ben's pinout for this one, and I'm pretty sure my connections are solid. I'll have to check again, but might not be until tomorrow (I'm supposed to be typing a paper right now. This counts... uh... its typing). I also did the 30-31 short to kill the built in games. I'll check Ben's pinout for the CHR pins, and then double check the connections.
Thanks
Looks like theres still hope for this NOAC.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:41 pm

You used Ben's pinout? Then he owes you your money back! {refer to "super" NES page} :P

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Well I went over the wiring today and now nothing works. I removed the cartridge slot in a last ditch effort to save the NOAC, but it was no use. I'm not sure how, but the NOAC fried itself. I really hate these stupid things. I'm going to need a new one now. Anyone know if the Yobo is any good? *Tosses another fried NOAC into the trash*

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:42 pm

I wouldn't throw that away. It's likely just a single wire off or something. I've completed two NOAC to NES cartridge conversions on two different NOAC's and they're pretty hard to kill.

Do you have a Family Converter? If so I can show you an easy way to check your wiring.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:44 pm

atkafighter wrote:Well I went over the wiring today and now nothing works. I removed the cartridge slot in a last ditch effort to save the NOAC, but it was no use. I'm not sure how, but the NOAC fried itself. I really hate these stupid things. I'm going to need a new one now. Anyone know if the Yobo is any good? *Tosses another fried NOAC into the trash*
Yobo is excellent! us controller ports with a us cart slot to avoid extra crap.

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:47 pm

I was supposed to order a Family Boy a long time ago, but my financing got screwed up really bad (rent went through twice, and full tuition payment went through instead of a partial payment). Its safe to say I'm in a pretty bad situation right now.
Also, I completely removed the cartridge slot, and it still doesn't work. What should I be looking for if it can be saved?

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:01 pm

Oh it's the kind with built in games isn't it. Well I guess it should be playing the built-in games then and since it's not... :( dang.

If you keep having trouble, and you pay the shipping, I could wire the next one for you.