Kevin Hortan's Puma 2600

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

gannon
Kevin Hortan's Puma 2600

Post by gannon » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:46 pm

Yeah, although his way of making a portable Atari 2600 is a lot different, I like the fact that (by using his method) you have a lot more controll over the size & shape of the Atari board. I'd go as far to say that by using this method you could create a portable atari only a little bit larger that a sony ps1 lcd, and that's if you use that lcd.
I mean, it "could" be as thin as .5-.75 inches depending on how large the chips are.
Edit:
I made a few changes to the image. I made it smaller of course, and also I labelled the essential parts. I noticed that one chip on the 2600 was a custom chip, and Kevin decided to go with another instead. All I know is that it was labbelled T.I.A in the schematics that I found, and that it produces 16 data and address lines. The microprocessor makes 21, and the ram makes 18, so there are 61 lines going to the 24 pin connector, unless they are jumped together somewhere else.

Edit's Edit:
Ok, I found out what the T.I.A. does. Its the graphics and sound processor. Here's a description of it with schematics.

hmm... I checked to make sure, and I can just buy the 3 chips I need fo4 $24.50 brand new. I also checked to make sure that I didn't have to flash them or anything, and it ends up that they're fixed chips and can't be flashed anyways, which saves me the trouble of having to mod them.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:33 pm

Hey Gannon if your still doing anything with this how much would it cost to make the boards (materials) for that kinda atari.

It maybe a viable option for me as I'm still a little causious about buying the ataris off ebay.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:46 pm

I'm not sure, but it would probably be more expensive than just buying a 4 switch and modding it.
What I'd really like to do is try and fit all the gut's along with a lcd tv in a gameboy case, or even a gba sized case.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:03 am

Well if you can come up with the place I can buy all those chips I'd like to see whats possible. Also as it stands its going to cost me about $30 any time I buy atari(s) so att he cost for the chips you mentioned its not too bad for me, I just prize conviance over cost.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:23 am

This begs for me to cut up my boxed light 6er 2600!

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:42 am

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:49 pm

GGGGAAAANNNNNNNNOOOONNNN!
the hell was that?

Link89

Post by Link89 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:21 pm

Looks pretty sweet. I think I might try that. That site doen't sell them those actuall parts does it? I didn't see anything on buying stuff there.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:49 pm

yeah, they sell them, there just wasn't a link to the main page.
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/