PS3 hard drive question

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

resecnded x
PSN Username:ShadowXKaiser
360 GamerTag:King Kickass99
PS3 hard drive question

Post by resecnded x » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Ok, despite having left this site for a long time, I came here to get a question answered

I got a seagate backup plus portable drive (1TB), and after comparing the drive in my ps3 to the portable drive, I see its the right type to put in my ps3, but the only problem would be for me to pop the drive out of its enclosure; I got that part covered (but until I get another portable drive im keeping my hand for now), but what I want to know is if I format the drive to be a totally blank drive (no hidden files or whatever on it), take it out of its enclosure, and put it in the ps3, will the console accept the drive and use it to format it?

Or, will I have ruined a $99 drive (got it from dell with my new computer); I may have more questions to ask in the near future (I had 4 separate problems so far and asked techrepublic to help, and long time later, no help), and I hope there will be knowledgeable enough people on here to help me with them
"Zeus, your son has returned; I have brought the destruction, OF OLYMPUS"

ProgMetalMan

Re: PS3 hard drive question

Post by ProgMetalMan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 pm

resecnded x wrote:I got a seagate backup plus portable drive (1TB), and after comparing the drive in my ps3 to the portable drive, I see its the right type to put in my ps3
No it's not, dude. You need a 2.5" SATA HDD, not a USB HDD.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Look, unless you DIDN'T read all of the topic, maybe I should repeat it; I took the ps3 har

After COMPARING the HDD of my PS3 and my seagate portable drive (in terms of size and even using the usb adapter thing that lets me use the portable drive with my ps3 HDD), I see that (despite the seagate drive being in a enclosure); if I rip the hard drive out of its enclosure, reformat it to be a blank drive (heck, even buying blancco or using DBAN's boot n' nuke to erase it), and put it in my ps3, will it work, or will I have ruined a hard drive

If I'm missing something, can you please tell me why it would fail; I have the perfect SATA hard drive bookmarked in my firefox browser, I'm just checking to see if I can find a more cost-effective solution to this

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 am

I read the post, poop egress. I'm pretty sure that a Seagate portable drive cannot be ripped from its enclosure and plugged in via SATA.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Can anyone else confirm progmetalman's answer?

I just need complete confirmation on this

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:25 pm

resecnded x wrote:Can anyone else confirm progmetalman's answer?

I just need complete confirmation on this
You might be able to pull it out, but unless you're careful you probably wouldn't ever be getting it back in.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:17 pm

ugh I hate it when people don't understand questions but feel free to answer them incorrectly.

presuming that your portable drive is a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive, it should work the same as any other drive. I believe that the PS3 has some sort of feature that nukes any hard drive connected to it and starts from scratch. depending upon the enclosure you may or may not be able to put the ps3 original drive into it and have it work. it will need to be formatted as well. The only issue that you might run into is if you can close the enclosure again. If it is a screw together type that is easy to get in and out of, there really isn't a problem.

in the worst case scenario it doesn't work, you should be able to put it back into the original enclosure and format it again.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Harlequin wrote:ugh I hate it when people don't understand questions but feel free to answer them incorrectly.

presuming that your portable drive is a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive, it should work the same as any other drive.
I answered the way I did because there was no indication that the HDD was SATA.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 am

"I got a seagate backup plus portable drive (1TB)"

For one, I would assume that this would be SATA right off the get go. I cannot think of any portable hard drive that size that would use IDE as a connector.

He also indicated that he checked and saw that it was the same size. Seagate does sell them in both 3.5 and 2.5 but presuming that this is the correct size, I see no reason preventing this from working.

USB external hard drives use a circuit that either converts IDE to USB or SATA to USB. If it was not SATA I would eat my hat.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm looking at MY (dying) backup plus now; it is certainly bigger than 2.5" but smaller than 3.5". I suppose it could be a 2.5" in an enclosure.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:59 am

if it is smaller than a 3.5 and larger than a 2.5, then it is a 2.5

manufacturers keep to a certain standard for sizing. If less than 98% of all hard drives produced in the last year were not of those two sizes, I would be greatly surprised. The only other size that is kind of in use in bigger numbers are the 1.8 inch ziff drives, but they haven't been used in a while either.... but make great drives for micro sizing an original xbox...