ps3 laptop - the monitor!!!!

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

mastavaj
ps3 laptop - the monitor!!!!

Post by mastavaj » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:02 pm

hi guys, i'm getting a bit confused on the type of monitor that should be used. I know that I want led monitor 16.4 - 17.3 inch. the thing is, is it better to get a laptop screen or a use one from a stand alone lcd monitor? which will be the easiest to install?

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Re: ps3 laptop - the monitor!!!!

Post by ttsgeb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Depends on what matters most to you.
A laptop screen is going to be thinner, but requires a good bit of work, and decent communication skills to get to work.
A stand alone screen is pretty straightforward, but is going to be significantly thicker.

mastavaj

Post by mastavaj » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 am

thanks for getting back to me. i guess i'm going to need to think about this one.
I've been looking around and does anyone know about njytouch! their on ebay and they sell lcd controllers etc. This was going to be my choice but just needed some assurance. I can see where having a standalone monitor would be useful and hassle free but don't they consume more power than a laptop screen?

ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:52 pm

I've bought from NJYTouch before, and their product is good. There are a few things about it that I don't like, though.
I've also bought from a company called Clientop Industrial Co.,Ltd. I was much more satisfied with their product, but it cost me significantly more.
-That said, I had rather in depth dealings with them and got the product shipped from China within a week. The shipping alone was $40 of it. (!!!)
--If you buy their products on AliExpress, you'll get shipping factored into the cost, but it'll take a month or so to get to you.

I suggest reading this thread:
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p148846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worth noting that they later told me some prices were wrong(too high), and didn't include shipping in that estimate(40 USD). It finally came out to 168 USD

Also, This thread may give some insight into NJYTouch:
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mastavaj

Post by mastavaj » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 am

thanks for the input and links, good read!! they both seem to know what you wanted. I am warming up to the idea of using a standalone monitor, I mean you wouldn't have to order or wait for parts. Only one problem trying to find a decent model in the UK is becoming very difficult?? Maybe I'm just being too picky!! Is 1080p too much to ask for! :D

Laptop screen option is still a maybe, well if I don't find the right monitor that is!

The search continues...

Appreciate all the info and if anyone else can give their opinions please feel free

ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:55 am

Luckily, PS3 and X360 games aren't really developed for 1080p, so for the most part, they'll look just as good on 720p (and sometimes better)
Also on a screen that small, having bigger text will be nice.

I'd just stick with 720 unless you plan to also hook this up to your normal laptop as an external screen.

Also, I'd worry more about viewing angles; backlight brightness, temp, and distribution; and color accuracy than resolution. When you have a pretty screen, everything else looks better...