trouble with a customer.

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

darkuncle33
360 GamerTag:darkuncle33
trouble with a customer.

Post by darkuncle33 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Hey I have a customer that is demanding a refund and I would like to know what you guys think.
I shipped and Xbox laptop to him and when he opened it, it had been damaged in shipping. I always tell my customers to check for that and let me know if it got there and is working the way it should.
This customer didn't tell me about the damage and even tried to fix it himself and made it much worse. So I cannot even be sure it was damaged in shipping. By the time he told me about it he had taken it appeared and damaged it even more. I decided to fix it anyway only asking him to pay shipping and parts. When I got it back it was still in pieces. I fixed the damage to the case and replaced the audio amp then put it back together and returned it.
But it turned out there was more damage than I thought and some SMDs on the mobo had been knocked loose. so though I tested it with a corded controller and freely admit should have checked to make sure the cordless controller still worked I shipped it back to him on my dime and when he got it only to find out the controller wouldn't sync.
I felt really bad about not checking it the way I should and even though the damage to the mobo was due to him shipping to me in pieces. I told him I would build him a whole new unit. Only because I felt bad about not checking it well enough to find the issue with the sync.
It took him about a month to return the old unit. But I didn't get him the new one for 2 months because I was busy. I build a 100% new system nothing used from the old and shipped it back to him, and also told him that I would still honor the warranty even though he broke it the first one.
So I repaired the first one once and missed some of the damage he caused and then built him a new one to make up for it.
I tested the new unit for a week before shipping and it worked the way it should, and now he is saying it has an issue with the wifi not working and is demanding a refund. I just don’t trust him at this point but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I told him no way will I give him an upfront refund but I would fix it or I would fix and sell it and refund his money out of the proceeds.
Let me be clear, he broke the first one even if it got damaged in shipping it was insured and he didn't tell me and made it worse by taking it apart. I feel I was more than forgiving in even fixing it then
If the new one really has a wifi issue I am willing to fix it under warranty. I want everyone who buys from me to be happy but I think this is far enough.
Am I in the right?

Diminuendo

Re: trouble with a customer.

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

The instant he opened up the laptop he lost his warranty. you should of just ended it right there.

If everything you say is true (people post biased opinions unintentionally) you have bee nothing but kind to him when he has constantly been in the wrong.

If your work is quality, even though you shouldn't have to do this re-selling his laptop might be the best option, just to give him no reason to contact you again.

I'd say offer to resell is but inform him that you will only refund him IF and WHEN you find a new buyer, if he complains tell him it is your only offer.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Re: trouble with a customer.

Post by ttsgeb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:19 am

Diminuendo wrote:The instant he opened up the laptop he lost his warranty. you should of just ended it right there.

If everything you say is true (people post biased opinions unintentionally) you have bee nothing but kind to him when he has constantly been in the wrong.

If your work is quality, even though you shouldn't have to do this re-selling his laptop might be the best option, just to give him no reason to contact you again.

I'd say offer to resell is but inform him that you will only refund him IF and WHEN you find a new buyer, if he complains tell him it is your only offer.