RRoD fix

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Harlequin
RRoD fix

Post by Harlequin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 am

Was given a RRoD phat xbox some time ago. The error indicated a memory issue. It was already stripped down and someone had tried to reflow using a blow dryer. At least they didn't do any damage to it.. I covered the various sensitive parts as best i could with aluminum foil (not wrapping them, just kind of building a heat sheild) and then hit it with a heat gun for about 2-3 minutes on each side, hitting the CPU (unavoidable) and the various memory modules. I kept the heat gun on low for about a minute and high for about a minute or so.

I put it all back together again and it no longer gives the 3 RRoD but after a few minutes of being on the fans kick right into high gear. The GPU/CPU both feel hot, but I'd imagine that the fan shouldn't be hitting this kind of speed after a few minutes.. even if I'm sitting on the dashboard, no DVD at all, it still does it.

Previous to trying to fix it with a blow dryer, the prev owner replaced the x-clamps with washers and heavy bolts. I'm wondering if maybe they aren't bringing good enough contact onto the heatsinks? or maybe I didn't do a good enough job removing the old TIM and replacing it (used cooler master tim, works ok and doesn't cost an arm and a leg)...

I've read from others that the bolts replacement is insufficient, causing more harm than good, and that the original x-clamp was actually superior to what half the internet seems to think. I'm just not sure why this xbox is sounding like an airplane each time I turn it on. I have other 360's and they do not encounter the same problem. I might pull the heatsinks off and clean off the TIM and maybe sand paper off any small bits of residue left (there were maybe four or five specks, nothing I thought was too major) or maybe try putting an x-clamp on again (I have a donor box) to see if a more even pressure is the answer...

Aside from that I'm kind of stumped. I don't really want to go the route of pulling out a dremel and a hole saw and just putting a 80 mm fan directly above the GPU (which some claimed fixed the problem) or cutting a hole and mounting the DVD drive externally (which others have done) so I'm hoping someone here has some feedback as well.

Thanks guys

ModderMan

Re: RRoD fix

Post by ModderMan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:42 pm

I can across the same thing and fixed it. The x clamps are the problem, you said that the x clamp has bigger bots, this is causing bad connection or other problems between the heatsink and clamp, your best bet is to replace the x clamp with another, you can buy x clamp kits on eBay. If done properly this will fix the problem. The reason the fans go into jet mode is because the Xbox can not detect the heat level on the clamps, therefore it tries to 'cool down' when it is not hot at all. That is just my guess but that is what happend to me :|
Hope that fixes your prob!!
- ModderMan

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:00 pm

The box doesn't have any concerns clamps at all and I was thinking of putting them back on from a donor box. To my knowledge the box doesn't detect heat from the clamps, but from the chips themselves. I'm guessing your new clamps fixed it because it made better contact.

ModderMan

Post by ModderMan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah, I also applied fresh thermal paste as well, just in case and it was fine after that. You should put the clamps from your donor Xbox and see if that works. As long as there is good contact it should be happy.
- ModderMan

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm

I had a similar problem, I fixed an E74 by cutting the temp sensor trace and putting a quite fan in place, wiring it into the 12v rail on the power input.