Xbox 360 Power & MOSFET Types

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
Xbox 360 Power & MOSFET Types

Post by ssmith43654 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi,

I have a spare jasper board. Board works fine, although it gives an immediate 0001 power problem. The MOSFET's have gone, and all need replacing.

I have a spare falcon, opus and xenon board but no spare jasper (as jaspers dont tend to break).

I was thinking of getting all the mosfets of the falcon, as it is the closest to it, however the mosfet model numbers are slightly different.

Falcons take more power, therefore it should be safe in a jasper right? It wouldnt be safe the other way round though (jasper components to falcon).

Would I need to replace the solid state caps with the eletrolytic ones from the falcon aswell, and do I need to replace the MOSFET driver IC (which is different).

Help much appreciated,

Thanks
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

RDC

Re: Xbox 360 Power & MOSFET Types

Post by RDC » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:43 pm

If all of the FETs are bad then there's more of an issue there than just them. A lot of them are in parallel with others also, so if only 1 is bad it will look like more are. Also, testing them in circuit is no way to tell if they're bad or not as you'll always get an incorrect measurement from other components in there.

It depends on what bit of the part numbers are slightly different as to it making a difference or not. Look them up and compare the specs in the DataSheets.

Leave the Solid State caps as they're better than the Electrolytic ones.

You shouldn't replace the Driver IC unless it's bad, and if they're different you're not going to be able to anyway.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 am

RDC wrote:If all of the FETs are bad then there's more of an issue there than just them. A lot of them are in parallel with others also, so if only 1 is bad it will look like more are. Also, testing them in circuit is no way to tell if they're bad or not as you'll always get an incorrect measurement from other components in there.

It depends on what bit of the part numbers are slightly different as to it making a difference or not. Look them up and compare the specs in the DataSheets.

Leave the Solid State caps as they're better than the Electrolytic ones.

You shouldn't replace the Driver IC unless it's bad, and if they're different you're not going to be able to anyway.
Ok so i have just spent 2 whole days replacing every single mosfet and capacitor on the board. Now when I power it up, it doesnt 3 red ring instantly :) !

However it does go on to 0022 after that. Its definetly not overheating. The power circuitry seems to be partially working:

The gpu heatsink warms up, so power is getting to it.
The 5v point mosfet on the closest front left of the board heats up and gets quite hot - its supposed to be supplying 5v however its only giving about 1.8v.

I am pretty sure these are the problem. I am looked at the traces and they seem fine. The mosfet thats heating up has one pin that goes directly to the driver IC under it.

Do you think i need to replace the driver IC ? (which would be pretty tricky as its a Surface mount)

Also one strange thing to not is that it does a 0022 on the 150w small power brick however does an instant 0001 on the larger 175w power brick.

I will also try a 203w brick tomorrow.

Thanks

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:04 pm

0022 isn't overheating, it's some hardware error, (H)ANA, GPU or Southbridge.

The FETs are surface mount, so there's no difference between the driver IC and how they're mounted.

If you're getting 1.8v where there should be 5v then something is loading it down, though that's an awful odd voltage to have as there are also 1.8v spots on the 360.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm

RDC wrote:0022 isn't overheating, it's some hardware error, (H)ANA, GPU or Southbridge.

The FETs are surface mount, so there's no difference between the driver IC and how they're mounted.

If you're getting 1.8v where there should be 5v then something is loading it down, though that's an awful odd voltage to have as there are also 1.8v spots on the 360.
Hi,

Ok so i tested the voltages to a known working board, and 1.8v is correct at that particular FET, so the voltage points diagram i was looking at was wrong!

I was comparing it to a falcon board. However strangely all the voltages on the non working jasper are about ~0.5v lower - is this correct?

Also there are 2 mosfet places which are unpopulated (R5B3 and D5B1) should I put mosfets in these places. I believe these fets provide standby power is this correct?

Thanks for all the help!

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:42 pm

If it's missing the standby Regs and you're trying to power it up, then you should honestly just bin that thing now. Troubleshooting a PCB like that with nothing to go by isn't going to end up with great results. Even with the schematic, DMM, Oscilloscope and a working one for comparison it's still challenging.

R5D3 is a Resistor. D5B1 is a Diode. Both should be installed.

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:47 am

RDC wrote:If it's missing the standby Regs and you're trying to power it up, then you should honestly just bin that thing now. Troubleshooting a PCB like that with nothing to go by isn't going to end up with great results. Even with the schematic, DMM, Oscilloscope and a working one for comparison it's still challenging.

R5D3 is a Resistor. D5B1 is a Diode. Both should be installed.
Yeha its missing that whole standby power circuitry (3 caps a diode, 2 fets and 3 caps but they were never installed originally anyway.

I managed to get hold of the schematics and service manual, but dont have an Oscilloscope - and it looked rather complicated.

Its a shame becuase its a Jasper v2 made in 2010 and would have been nice to get fixed. It was on an old dash aswell and it was gonna be RGH'ed.

Nevermind, thanks a lot for the help anyways!