How to make a controller mold

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

lemon1mw
PSN Username:mijle2003
How to make a controller mold

Post by lemon1mw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:41 am

In the days of awesome controllers, the world was giving gamepads like snes,ps1,xbox ect... The last few days a purchased an Avenger Elite for the ps3, my question to you guys? Is where or how can I make a gamepad mold something like the the Avenger Elite I would like to add my own little twist about faster button selction

Diminuendo

Re: How to make a controller mold

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 am

dunno, how do you make an amazingly open and non-specific question with absolutely no context?

lemon1mw
PSN Username:mijle2003

Re: How to make a controller jacket mold like Avenger Elite

Post by lemon1mw » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 am

To reformate my question, I have a Avenger Elite for the ps3. What I was trying to say earlier. How do you make a jacket for the your gamepad, like the Avenger Elite? I was thinking of putting a ps3 eye camera, using some type of jacket design as they do with the Avenger Elite? :shock:

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 am

The people that designed that probably either got original CAD files from Microsoft/Sony or used 3D scans of the controllers to create a negative imprint of the controller. These were not made in someone's garage with hobby equipment.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:32 pm

However, they *could* be made in someones garage with hobby equipment.

You can get silicone to make forms out of, and then cast resin inside of it. I'm still not entirely sure what you're trying to do though, so I can't really recommend a process to you.

Assuming you're just trying to mount a camera on the controller, I would probably just abs cement the camera to it. If you're trying to do it without damaging the controller, it's a bit different.
I would likely try to build clamps that go around the body of the controller and hold the camera up, much like how bike lights are mounted. This could be done with some metal strips and some screws, or even with a bunch of rubber bands, really.