Custom Racing Wheel Based off of Wired Controller?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

m.player
Custom Racing Wheel Based off of Wired Controller?

Post by m.player » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:10 pm

I played Forza 3 for the first time last week, bought it for $14 the next day and now have a cheap racing wheel project in mind. I realize it won't be anything like the racing wheels that can be purchased, but I'd be happy with a toilet seat over an analog stick.

My assumption is most of the work will be cosmetic, in creating a surface for the ABXY buttons/triggers to work into the setup. My plan is then to have the wheel mounted on a pot that connects to the two points on the controller board that control the X axis of analog stick movement (+the positive lead for the analog).

My limitation is the technical accomplishment here...how would I determine the necessary pot resistance in place of the analog. I also wonder if I am tackling this in an incorrect manner.

Any help is much appreciated!
m.

RDC

Re: Custom Racing Wheel Based off of Wired Controller?

Post by RDC » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:12 pm

The X-axis is technically 3 points, Analog Voltage, Wiper and Ground.

The value of the new POT you use can be anything from 10k to 1M, it's just used as a voltage divider, so no matter the value you're going to get the exact same output from it. The one on the Stick is a 10k if you were wondering.

All you need to do for the X-axis is remove the old POT, wire up the new one from your wheel, and you're done.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome