Some questions about my XBOX360 Laptop Project

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

shangrila500
Steam ID:shangrila500
Some questions about my XBOX360 Laptop Project

Post by shangrila500 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Hey everybody,

Let me start off by saying I am sorry if some of these questions are repeats, I searched the forums and could not for the life of me find the answers.

I started building Ben's XBOX360 laptop about a month ago and have proceeded along quite well, but I do have a few questions about some of the parts and processes.

1. I would like to use a FHD screen on this project as opposed to the Westinghouse that Ben shows in his tutorial, what is the best/easiest FHD screen to use on this and how would I go about implementing this screen as opposed to the Westinghouse?
2. Instead of using the VGA connection could I just use the HDMI port on the 360 to connect the screen? If so would it be just as simple as desoldering the HDMI port on the MoBo and moving it to somewhere in the case using ribbon cable and then using a short HDMI cable to connect?
3. How is it possible to just use the 360's power cord instead of having to hack the power brick and all that mess. Just make it to where everything runs off of just one cord?
4. What is the deal with the card you have to buy for your screen off of ebay? Why have I only seen mention of it on here and not in the tutorial?
5. Since I do not have access to a CNC machine how can I make the case? Or would it be better to have someone make it for me? If so, who can I get to make it for me and where/how can I get in touch with them. Also what is a roundabout cost for having to have one built?

ALSO if anyone has a case for the 360 laptop that they don't want, need, or just want to get rid of that will work for me please message me with the price.

Thank you all in advance!!

hulldude15
360 GamerTag:fin3rz

Re: Some questions about my XBOX360 Laptop Project

Post by hulldude15 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 am

Hi,

I'm building an XBOX 360 Laptop too at the moment, I'm no expert but I'll try and answer some questions:

2. I've heard that the hdmi port is very difficult to desolder, so I would use VGA (pinouts available on this forum)
3. With my laptop, I'm running everything off the screen's power supply, I'm soldering two wires from this to the xbox power brick.
4. If your buying a monitor and disassembling it, then use the video card inside the monitor

5. I can make custom cases for anyone, I have access to many CNC machines for free including: Laser cutters (can engrave too!), 2x 3D printers, CNC routers, millers, lathes etc . Ideally I would want/ask you to design the case on a 3D modelling software, however I would be able to do this for you if that isn't possible, obviously at an increased cost to you. Alternatively if want you want I already have a design for, then there would be no design cost. The cases will look awesome as everything would be computer controlled

Having not made cases for anyone before, I'm not entirely sure what to charge. It would of course be the cost of the materials, use of machines (which should be free) and what I consider to be reasonable for the use of my time (It won't be too expensive, I believe that we can all help each other out on this forum!)

If anyone is interested, contact me at: fin2@hotmail.co.uk

I'm near to creating my case so will post some pictures in the next month.

shangrila500
Steam ID:shangrila500

Post by shangrila500 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. I've been waiting for quite a while and figured I would never get a reply. Anyway, pretty much everything on the 360 motherboard is difficult to desolder thanks to it being ROHS solder. I was just thinking it would have better video quality, of course it probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference in the long run. I would also be very interested in a case, I have tried to contact a few people from the board to ask about a commission and haven't heard back from them so if you would be interested in taking on as a commission then that'd be excellent. If you'd like to discuss prices and designs than you can email me at Shangrila500@hotmail.com. if I don't respond to your email just post here and let me know you sent one, it may getc caught in the spam filter.
I look forward to speaking with you!

hulldude15
360 GamerTag:fin3rz

Post by hulldude15 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Sent a message!