creating a xbox360 laptop

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

cptbooniecrab
360 GamerTag:cptbooniecrab
creating a xbox360 laptop

Post by cptbooniecrab » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:37 pm

i am currently working on my own model and have run into a few snags i would appciate any and all help i can get in this prodject so far i have manage to remove the screen from a old laptop i have and i have also taken apart the xbox its self i am not sure what to do at this point i would however like to keep the key board and use it to interface with the xbox much like a usb keyboard of textpad might also i was wandering if anyone knew how to modify a storage device to fit in some how i dont know were to start on taking apart a xbox harddrive this is my first mod project so i would appricaite lots of understanding thank you

cptbooniecrab

Re: creating a xbox360 laptop

Post by cptbooniecrab » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:34 pm

also i have a video i took of my progress but i am not sure how to post it help with that to of this is a new hobie of mine i have been watching the show for a while and i was inspired

ModderMan

Post by ModderMan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:09 am

I don't know about what to do with your keyboard etc but I have helped fit a xbox360 inside a shell of an original Xbox and part of that involved the hard drive, the Xbox360s HDD is just a regular laptop HDD with a identifier code (so you can't just swap it) and a SATA connector that goes to a custom plug, I don't think it is very hard to open the HDD enclosure, it depends on the model of Xbox you have, the older one has a big clip on HDD while the slim has a small plastic case around the HDD, the mod was done ages ago so look online to see how to take it apart but when you get it apart it is quite easy to lengthen the small cable so you can extend it to where ever you want just don't use ribbon cable to extend it, it doesn't work, good luck!
- ModderMan

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:37 am

1. Laptop Screen: You will need a controller board:

The seller's name is 'njytouch':

http://www.ebay.com/sch/njytouch/m.html ... =12&_rdc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check some of his posting and they have listings of all supported screens. If you do not see your screen's model number contact them and they can check it.

Google Xbox 360 VGA Mod to see the pins you need to solder.

There is guy called 'darkuncle33' here and on youtube. He does great slim Xbox 360 laptops. Contact him for tips. Also watch some of Ben Heck's videos on how to create Xbox 360 laptop.

2. Adding Keyboard:

You can probably solder usb cable from keyboard to Xbox 360 motherboard. You have to find out the pins for USB.

3. Storage Device:
The drive has SATA connector so you should be able to get some kind of extension cable for SATA so you can place the harddrive anywhere in your case.

Engadet ran a whole article on how to create your own Xbox 360 laptop. It is UP to you on how complicated you want it to be.

cptbooniecrab

Post by cptbooniecrab » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:40 am

thanks that helps a lot

cptbooniecrab

Post by cptbooniecrab » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:59 am

i am now having another problem with my xbox it thinks that it is overheating when all parts are cool to the touch how can i fix that so i dont have problems with the finished model