360 Elite, Hdmi, and Sound.

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

CfHKibb
360 Elite, Hdmi, and Sound.

Post by CfHKibb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello all, Just doing a decently basic build for my xbox elite, and since I'm going with a HDMI to DVI connection was curious about how to get sound through that connection.

The monitor I'm using does have built in speakers, its the HP1835 or something like that.

I did do some research but the picture I saw was a little to hazy to get an accurate conclusion. Just wanting some confirmation that I just Connect pins 20 and 24 together, and then to a grounding pole? or do I just connect those two together and that grounds them out?

Also in doing so would that send audio via the hdmi cable or would I have to do some more wiring from the AV port?

GW2

Re: 360 Elite, Hdmi, and Sound.

Post by GW2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:41 am

DVI will not carry audio so if your doing HDMI to DVI you will lose the sound so you'll have to pull analog sound from the A/V port.

CfHKibb

Post by CfHKibb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks, Now I'm a bit at a road block, So this Monitor has an Audio in. Can I just plug in a headphones jack, cut it up and attach it to the L&R audio? and do L&R Audio Ground have to be included?

Galane

Post by Galane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 pm

The DVI and HDMI video signals are identical. HDMI includes digital audio but it's unlike any other format of digital audio.

There are some rather expensive and over-featured 'black boxes' which are made for 'injecting' SPDIF, TOSLINK or analog audio into HDMI along with video from a DVI video connection.

I dunno if there's a box that will separate the HDMI audio and convert it to analog or another digital format.

What you could try is one of the Chinese S-Video, Composite video and analog audio breakout cables without the HDMI port blocking tab and use it for the audio connection.

If the 360 leaves both ports active all the time, that should work. Another alternative is an AV cable with an optical TOSLINK audio port, if your monitor has optical audio in and you can find an AV/TOSLINK cable that doesn't block the HDMI port.

FYI, SPDIF and TOSLINK audio data is the same, TOSLINK just converts it to light. Technically the two are fairly simple to convert between.

What the home entertainment market needs is an *inexpensive* little box with one HDMI port, one DVI port, one TOSLINK, one SPDIF port and a pair of analog audio RCA jacks. The purpose being to split HDMI to DVI and any one of those audio connections, or merge HDMI and any one of those audio connections to HDMI. Shouldn't even need a switch, should be able to tell which end the digital video is coming from and change automatically between split and merge.