X360 Key Custom Case Mod PC Case Mod Xbox Slim

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ozzylow
360 GamerTag:ozzylow
Re: X360 Key Custom Case Mod PC Case Mod Xbox Slim

Post by ozzylow » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 am

New motherboard tray, wasnt to happy with the old one and this will make the Asetek Liquid Cooling easier for me to mount, also can run my 12V and 5V wires underneath the board, its worth spending the extra time it will make all the difference.

Aluminium sheet, cut at 8.5" x 8.5" i will be using PC Motherboard stand off. Drill and tap to fit, and will all be resprayed matte black.

Thermal paste removed

armarares

Post by armarares » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:30 am

One question : WHY?
This seems already very expensive and you put a lot of hard work on it.To do what? Put it in a bigger case?
Do not understand me wrong,this is very cool,but what is the point of this project?

Keep up the great work! :D

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:59 am

armarares wrote:One question : WHY?
This seems already very expensive and you put a lot of hard work on it.To do what? Put it in a bigger case?
Do not understand me wrong,this is very cool,but what is the point of this project?

Keep up the great work! :D
Its a fun project, i like to see what i can make. I know the Slim doesnt need to be Liquid Cooled, but why not, i have seen a Nintendo wii Water Cooled.

Havent spent too much money, sponsers have heled out with a few things, other things are pretty cheap, shop around and save money. Its a Hobby, so i dont mind spending money and my time on this.

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:39 am

Got the stand offs mounted in the new motherboard tray, i wanted to lift this so i have room to fit the X Clamp back underneath to help with mounting the Asetek Liquid Cooling.

Sorry if i post to many pictures, i like to take photos of everything so if someone else trys something similar they have the photos to help out.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:52 pm

really interested to see how the water block mounts to that. May want to consider doubling your stand offs if you think that you will need space for cables and etc.

I would consider putting double stand offs on it and drilling some holes in the bottom of the case, adding a 120 or 80 fan on the bottom to take cold air from under the case and push it underneath the board as well. I don't know about the slims, but the ram underneath tends to get hot on the phats..

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:05 am

Starting to work on the mounting of the block. Just roughly dry fitting and seeing how i can make this all work.

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 am

On Christmas day at 12.06 i finally got the first test done, its working. Ran it for a while and all seems good so far, i have never done anything like this, no water cooling before so it was pretty exciting to get it all going tonight / this morning.

Pump was a little noisy at first but im guessing it was just getting rid of the air and 30 seconds later it was back to quiet, a lot better then the older Xbox 360, i would rather listen to the small noise of the pump then original fans.

The Fractal design fans, are quiet also, i havent had much experience with PC fans, but i dont even notice these ones on, running full speed. Once its all inside the case im sure i will hear even less. Excellent Christmas present to myself getting it done and running.

Cant wait to be playing Skyrim on this Xbox.

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks for the nice comments, some more progress today.

Tested the Xbox for around 6 hours. Im addicted to Skyrim now.

Temps seemed pretty low, not a lot of heat coming from the Xbox, when it is all installed inside the case with extra fans i should be able to lower the overall heat.

Painted the Motherboard tray. Started with sanding lighly with 400 Grit and put down a coat of etch primer, helps the paint bond better with aluminium then a coat of surface primer to level out any imperfections. Finished off with a coat of matte black.

The wind got pretty strong outside so i had to take it down to dry.

armarares

Post by armarares » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:50 am

Awesome! But one question:Is there any more space in the case?

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks to Modiify for supplying one of the newest controllers with there latest chip. The ARBITER 3. The quality is amazing, the chip is even better. Drop shots, Jump Shots and Rapid Fire.

Easy to follow on how to get everything working. I proper instruction manual on how it all works, how to program what mode you want. No other rapid fire controller/chip comes close to this.

Custom made with the White features make this fit with the case perfectly.

The top of the case has a 120mm fan, the radiator is 92mm. I needed to use an adapter, not sure how much this will affect the airflow i will add another fan if needed. Possibly a 92mm Fractal Design fan to go with the others.

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Perspex Window Ideas.

Not sure on what window design to go with.

This panel can be turned either way.

Half Window Left

Half Window Right

Full

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:46 am

I will be going with a window on the left and the mesh on the right but with a radius on the corners. There will be more to see, still working on ideas. Possibly a motherboard cover ( black tinted perspex ) to make the green less obvious.

started with the LED's today, got them wired up and into position. The one of the motherboard tray will light up motherboard slightly. Not to bright. Just wired up to a 12V battery to see how it looks.

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:46 am

Now you can see how the LED's underneath the motherboard show, not to bright.

Progress is picking up, still a lot to do but slowly getting there. i dont want to rush it and not be happy with the end result.

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:14 am

I have progress but not all of it can be seen, just been organising everything so it all fits back together, some wire management to keep it all looking neat.

Disc Drive had to be raised up. It will be held in place with 3M Velco, its a lot stronger then you may think

ozzylow

Post by ozzylow » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 am

More progress i have put a bit of time in to the case today gettting some bits and pieces finished.

I re painted a few things today. There is to many different blacks in the case, i wanted to keep it all a Matte Black Finish

New Soldering Iron

USB 3.0 came with the case so i had to re wire the cable becasue it had a motherboard header for a pc on the other end. I cut that end off and made a USB plug to go into the front Xbox 360 USB ports.

Will get some black heatshrink, the white does not look to good.