Xbox 360 controller mod help

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

HaLo2FrEeEk
360 GamerTag:HaLo2FrEeEk
Xbox 360 controller mod help

Post by HaLo2FrEeEk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm trying to mod an Xbox 360 controller's joysticks to be, believe it or not, less sensitive. I do a lot of work where I need to rotate the "camera" in-game in very small amounts (100ths of a degree of rotation). The angle that I'm looking is all monitored by the game, so that's not an issue, the issue is that the joystick is way too sensitive to make those tiny adjustments easily, any small movement of the joystick translates into a much large movement on-screen, making things difficult. Let's say that I'm trying to orient the camera so that it's facing 90° on the x-axis. I've managed to get it to 89.76°, I tap the stick EVER so slightly and it jumps to 90.43° (random numbers to illustrate what I mean, but realistic nonetheless). It might not seem like a .3-.4° error is that big a deal, but I'm a perfectionist and I don't like to allow anything more than a ±.03° error, and if I can help it I try to avoid even that much. What I need is to reduce the sensitivity of the joystick so that I can move it in much finer increments, a large movement of the stick won't cause a large movement in-game, but a very small one, allowing for greater flexibility of exactly where I'm looking.

I realize that I'm going to have to do something with the pots in the joystick, but that's where I really don't know what to do. From what I read they're 10k linear pots, but that doesn't really matter since they're only acting as voltage dividers, so a 50k, 100k, etc. would have the same result. Is this true? Does the resistance really play no part in it at all. If that's the case, is there anything that I can do? I'm not worried about messing with a controller, I have enough that I can afford to lose one if I mess anything up, and I also know what I'm doing with a soldering iron. Hopefully someone can help me out with this, it would make some of my projects a LOT easier.

armarares

Re: Xbox 360 controller mod help

Post by armarares » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:07 pm

You could
HaLo2FrEeEk wrote: do something with the pots in the joystick
or mess up with electronics but, there is a more simple method:
Just extend the joysticks for more percise controls. :wink:
http://geekapolis.fooyoh.com/geekapolis ... rs/1824973

HaLo2FrEeEk
360 GamerTag:HaLo2FrEeEk

Re: Xbox 360 controller mod help

Post by HaLo2FrEeEk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 pm

I just added a 100k resistor to the wiper pin of the x-axis pot, worked great.