wii inside of a lcd monitor

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

darkfate246
360 GamerTag:deathnote246
wii inside of a lcd monitor

Post by darkfate246 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Day one of wii monitor internalization.
Today I decided that since I broke my disc drive I would put a USB hard drive
into so I could play games on it still. Turns out I had a spare LCD monitor that
only needed a few capacitors replaced. So then I thought what if I internalized
the wii into the monitor because there's no disc drive anymore in it and then
added a removable hard drive bay to it, and then internalize a power strip for
both the wii and monitor. Because the monitor has speakers built into it I wont
need to put any in. I'm planing on building it next week and then posting a
guide sometime after.

minnieman

Re: wii inside of a lcd monitor

Post by minnieman » Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 pm

sounds sick man! keep us updated :D
every one of my trade offers comes with respect. just take that into consideration with my most likely appealing offer. :D

one day... my xbox 360 portable WILL HAPPEN!!
(to bad imma broke teen)

darkfate246

Post by darkfate246 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:01 pm

well i got the monitor fixed and stripped the wii down now im working on making the sync on green separator

JMods
PSN Username:kingjul
360 GamerTag:UKG x SoLd1eRzZ

Post by JMods » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 am

I will definitely be watching this one!

Sounds awesome.

Julian

darkfate246

Post by darkfate246 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:03 pm

update!!

ok i cant get the parts for so i can use the wii on the monitor right now but i will be able to really soon.
other than that today i tried to play a game off my hdd for the first time without a disc drive and its not working.
any advice would be very helpfull
i would also like any suggestions on what i should use to cover the wii on the lcd.
i will have some pics up later today of the wii.

darkfate246

Post by darkfate246 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 pm

the motherboard with heatsink

the Heatsink ( i need to either get a new one or make it smaller)

the cpu and gpu with heat sink paste (i plan on using artic silver when im done

the bottom of the motherboard.

i need some suggestions on how to desolder stuff like the usb ports etc
sorry on the bad quality my room is very dark and i was using my phone

minnieman

Post by minnieman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:43 pm

well, i believe nintendo uses lead free solder... so get a desolder iron and put some leaded solder on the joints to suck up all the solder. keep heating the joints while you gently pry the component off making sure not to scrape the motherboard.
every one of my trade offers comes with respect. just take that into consideration with my most likely appealing offer. :D

one day... my xbox 360 portable WILL HAPPEN!!
(to bad imma broke teen)

JC118899

Post by JC118899 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Notice, as the forum rules it says don't talk about modchips for bypassing the copyright on consoles as it is illegal and therefore not allowed. I am talking chips to bypass the Wii DVD drive to get the Wii functioning correctly again.

I am assuming you have a softmod installed as you never specified if you have a modchip installed. If the hard drive loading doesn't end up working out for you, maybe you can try the Wiikey Fusion. I emailed them and asked if I need a Wii drive inserted for their product to work and here is their response.
Spoiler:
you should have some drive in it, even if it is not working. Right now I
am not near any Wii to try it out...

Regards
Wiikey Team

On 7/27/2011 8:27 AM, wrote:

> Subject: Tech Support
>
> Message:
>
> I have a Wii that does not have a DVD drive in it. Will the Wiikey fusion work on this Wii or is the DVD drive needed for the modchip to function?
I don't want to void the warranty on my parents new Wii by opening it up, but I am not sure if the Wii drive is needed for it to run, but I have read somewhere that it is necessary for the Wii to run, which is probably why the HDD loading isn't working.

If the DVD drive doesn't need to be inside the Wii and you can't get your HDD loading to work then maybe try this alternative.

It is the Wiikey fusion and lets you play games off of an SD Card
(information on it)

http://www.wiikey.com/en/wiikey-fusion/

(place to buy it)

An official place to purchase (the cheapest in North America) You want to go to their official stores as there are cheap Chinese knockoffs going around.

http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/wiikey-fus ... p-376.html

When you said
So then I thought what if I internalized
the Wii into the monitor because there's no disc drive anymore in it and then
added a removable hard drive bay to it,
Do you mean you detached the DVD drive or that it is just not working?

If the DVD drive is necessary, as I am not 100% sure if it is or not, then you can try this chip to emulate the DVD drive, but it is very expensive.

(information and place to buy it)

http://www.ozmodchips.com/flatmii-wii-d ... p-199.html

I saved the best for last as I think this will fix your problem.

The Sundriver chip lets you put a SATA or IDE HDD into your Wii and take out the DVD drive

(information and place to buy it)

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/sun ... river.html

Hopefully this information helped you, but verify if the DVD drive does need to be present for the Wii as I really couldn't find an official source that would say so. Without the DVD drive in the Wii needing to be present you could softmod your Wii and take out the DVD drive and still run games off of the HDD all without a modchip to emulate the DVD drive, then you wouldn't need to spend a dime!. (although it sounds like that is what you already tried.)

Update!

After this post I went to Wiihacks.com and asked about the DVD Drive. The drive is needed. Looks like you will need a Sundriver Chip.

Here is my post on Wiihacks
http://www.wiihacks.com/wiihacks-newbie ... post586091

and the Wiihacks forum about the Sundriver if you want to do some research on it
http://www.wiihacks.com/sundriver/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

darkfate246 wrote:update!!today i tried to play a game off my hdd for the first time without a disc drive and its not working.
You need to at least have the Wii disc drives daughterboard hooked up to the Wii for "softmod" loaders to work. The loader programs don't completely emulate the system calls needed for games to run, so its still required even if your disc drive doesn't work.
JC118899 wrote:maybe you can try the Wiikey Fusion. I emailed them and asked if I need a Wii drive inserted for their product to work and here is their response.
Spoiler:
you should have some drive in it, even if it is not working. Right now I
am not near any Wii to try it out...

Regards
Wiikey Team
I don't know why the Wiikey team would give you this response. Wiikey Fusion modchips do not require a disc drive present to load games from SD. If the chip required it we would not be able to use them for GC portables. However, if you go the Wiikey Fusion route and decide to leave out the drive entirely. Some other little things like virtual console games, netflix, etc. may not work.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

markus
PSN Username:ikramtuht

Post by markus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 am

I am doing the exact same thing (sans the monitor). I hooked up the wiikey fusion but not the disc drive at all. It's also soft modded and I can boot wii games off of an external hard drive. As long as you have at least the wiikey hooked up, the usbloader gx (or whatever else you're using) shall work. The wii still works with Virtual Console games and things from the Homebrew Channel.
Hope this helped.
:D
Markus

darkfate246

Post by darkfate246 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 pm

sorry about not replying for a while my computer broke.......
theres still a couple things that need to be done.
can anyone provide me with some info on how to take a sync on green and separrate it into the h-sync and v-sync?

darkfate246

Post by darkfate246 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm

as of right now im thinking about integrating a intel atom board into the wii inside lcd monitor idea.
any ideas for the project would be nice?