Getting started on a portable Wii, where to start?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ruhtraeel
Getting started on a portable Wii, where to start?

Post by ruhtraeel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking of building a portable Wii. I'm pretty sure I have the screen covered, because I have a GPX portable DVD player that takes in S-video (gotta find the adapter). I'll probably just connect that to the AV from the Wii and use the DVD screen as the Wii screen.

Now, the thing I'm not sure about is the battery. Would I have to make it myself? I've been trying to find a Wii battery online, but nobody seems to sell such a thing. If I were to make a battery, how would this work? What would I need? How would I attach it?

Thanks!

Triforce of Geek

Re: Getting started on a portable Wii, where to start?

Post by Triforce of Geek » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Did you ever make a portable before? If not, start with something else; Wii is in the top five hardest portables.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:01 am

Probably the biggest thing you need to work out is how you want the controls. AFAIK no one has successfully integrated a Wiimote into a portable - all of the ones I have seen are laptop-style with the sensor bar above the screen and use regular Wiimotes.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

ruhtraeel

Post by ruhtraeel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:33 am

jdmlight wrote:Probably the biggest thing you need to work out is how you want the controls. AFAIK no one has successfully integrated a Wiimote into a portable - all of the ones I have seen are laptop-style with the sensor bar above the screen and use regular Wiimotes.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Just hooking up my Wii to a portable DVD player, but I need a battery for it. That's the only thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

And nope, this is my first time making a portable.