My Wireless Xbox 360 Headset Modification

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Steel Ah Live
360 GamerTag:Steel Ah Live
My Wireless Xbox 360 Headset Modification

Post by Steel Ah Live » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Well I modded this a while ago but finally got around to posting a gallery up on my website for some photos please check this out and comment.

If anyone wants some instructions i can give the quick skinny. Basically i pulled off the original speaker and wired up the large headset one, removed the microphone piece/wiring. I had to grind the speaker placement from the wireless casing down to a larger size then used super glue to hold it on the old speaker mount. It's permanent but works very nicely and is way more comfortable than the earpiece thing that comes with the original wireless headset.

http://www.steelahlive.com/projects.html Images can be viewed here.

Thanks,
Steel
Last edited by Steel Ah Live on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: My Wireless Xbox 360 Headset Modification

Post by humakabula1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

wow, nice man!
ill take some instructions if you can give them to me :D
gotta love tutorials!
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Steel Ah Live
360 GamerTag:Steel Ah Live

Post by Steel Ah Live » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Well for detailed instructions on disassembly of the Wireless headset i used this site:
http://justasktheitguy.com/xbox-360/how ... sassembly/
One note make sure to remove the pegs that hold the old rubber ear loop piece from the wireless headset you will not need these anymore
A more in depth guide can be found here http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... try3738020 But his site has also some not so "justified xbox hacks" so be warned it is for other modification purposes that I nor Mr. Heck would necessarily approve of.

As for taking apart the original wired headset that's pretty easy.

1. Cut the microphone/volume switch off nearest to the ear piece. You will not need this anymore.

2. Then you take the foam off the ear piece, there are three clips in a triangle pattern you'll want to push in slightly with a flat screwdriver. Once you've done that the ear piece should come apart a little but will still be attached with wires.

3. I then cut the microphone boom extensions rubber coating with an exacto knife right down the middle like performing heart surgery so i could expose the inner workings but without doing any damage. This also afforded me the opportunity to know which wires were the speakers and which one's were the mic and also let me make sure i didn't remove any wiring that was possibly needed.

4. Once that was complete there is a small phillips screw holding the actual boom mic in place on the Wired Headset, that once removed will expose a hole in the headset. This will be used for wiring up the wireless one's original speaker leads to the wired headset's speaker.

5. Next thing was to cut the circular ear piece/speaker mount completely off of the wireless headset molding. This allowed me to put it up to the wired headset's old boom mic position and get it just right so that all I needed to do was grind it a little to make it fit perfect.

6. Once you've adjusted the fit to your liking, you can start to reassemble the wireless microphone disconnecting the leads to the wireless speaker, ensuring that the speaker wires are exposed thru the opening you've recently made.

7. Next, will be soldering your wired headset speaker and wireless leads together. Make sure that you've gotten all your adjustments down on how the molding is going to sit in place before doing this cause once you do it your wires are in the hole and will need to be un-soldered to correct. Take extra precautions as to not use a very hot iron or use to much solder as these leads are extremely small and could break if to much heating and solder is used.

8. After you've gotten your wires soldered, time for a test. Turn on the microphone, and create an xbox party getting some friends to help you test that all communication are working properly. Ensure, the mic works and you can hear your friends, they can hear you, and that the volume/mute/sync buttons all work according to manufactured specs.

9. Final step is to select which ear you wish to where this on and it's positioning. This final step will make this a permanent solution and should be thought about first before doing it. SO once you've decided on an side to where the mic on, simply super glue the newly formed ring you ground out on the wireless piece to the old boom microphone location of the wired headset and you are finished. Let the glue dry for at least 8-10 hours before use as to ensure proper cementing of the two items has been achieved.

10. Enjoy your now more COMFORTABLE wireless headset!!

OK so how well does it work, very well, in fact speaker is definitely louder, this is actually the achilies heel of doing this mod that I've noticed in very rare circumstances. When you have someone in party that is actually yelling or speaking louder than others the distance from the mic to speaker is closer than in the original configurations of both pieces of hardware that you may sometimes inadvertanly echo communications back to the party. This is not to be confused with the "Echo Phenomenon" that sometimes occurs in xbox live parties. A simple fix for this is to just turn your volume down a little.

My original MOD Idea was to hack the wireless components into the same old wired headset structure but take the old original 360 communicator piece that plugged into the chat pad pins and headjack and turn THAT piece into your actual on/off/volume/mute switch. (I Dont like taking my hands off the controller to mute and adjust volumes and what not in the middle of the "action" so to speak, but I Digress) But once I opened the device up and realized there was no way to separate those functions from the wireless device I came up with the idea to just mount the whole thing on the ear hole and see how it worked.

Hope you enjoy and let me know if this mod / instructions helped you.

Later,
Steel

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 pm

sweet, thanks!
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete