PS3 Triggers

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes
PS3 Triggers

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:55 pm

I have a question that's been bugging me: what method of analog control does the PS3 trigger use? Potentiometer? Magnetic (like the Dreamcast)? I had my hands on a broken one a while back and I couldn't see anything the triggers connected to except a silicon membrane, but what on earth could a silicon membrane use for analog control? I tried Google searching and all I could find was people complaining about broken springs (read: button mashers).

RDC

Re: PS3 Triggers

Post by RDC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:07 am

All of the the PS3 controllers are pretty unique in how they work. This is the COM2 line of one of them..

..suffice it to say the Daughter board 'membrane' is made up of Resistors for each of the main buttons, then the rubber button contact is the other part of it. Since it's dome shaped, the harder the button is pressed the more of it makes contact with the Resistive trace on the membrane, so the more it's pressed the lower the Resistance. In this way it's similar to how a POT works if one end is tied to the Wiper, full Resistance turned one way, close to or 0 Ohms turned the other way, and you have that full range of whatever the full Resistance in between, hence the Analog.

If you're looking to make a duplicate button, any N.O. button type can be used, but you'll loose the Analog ability of it. If you're looking to make an alternate button that still has the Analog ability then you're in for a bit more of a mess as you can't just duplicate it since you'll be adding that Resistance in parallel to the existing button and messing it all up.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome