X360 Controller Hacking.

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Cooleo
360 GamerTag:MikeMiner
X360 Controller Hacking.

Post by Cooleo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:42 pm

If anyone could help me here, I would be grateful! I'm basically hacking an Xbox 360 into an RC Car, which will be able to be controlled via a program I code in XNA. I'm wanting to replace the Vibration motors with standard ones, but my multimeter has just given up on me! Across the internet, I see across various places quoting different voltage for said motors, Can anyone confirm a voltage for me? Also, I would like to extend the range of the controller, Is it possible to solder on an external antenna to the controller?

Thank you!

(Not the best first post to be asking for things, I don't want to come across a leech :))

stuntpenguin007

Re: X360 Controller Hacking.

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't exactly see how you plan to use XNA to control the RC car. What are you going to use as outputs on the xbox 360 to control the RC car? You know that you can make use of the xbox 360 controller without towing around an xbox 360 console as a receiver right?

One thing you could do is to get a cheap / small laptop, and then connect an xbox 360 controller to it. From there you could attach it to the RC car, then use a parallel port as an output, or something like that.

Just found this: http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotfor ... pic=4058.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know how to program any microcontrollers that support USB host mode, I'm pretty sure you could eliminate a computer or xbox completely and just use the microcontroller. My guess is that you could probably find xbox 360 controller protocol documented somewhere online.

As for extending the range of the controller. No clue.

edit: There might be some security issues interfacing with the controller directly.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=533144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Cooleo

Post by Cooleo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 am

I'll interface it by using a wireless reciever for windows, that way the controller is connected to my PC, and i'm going to move it using the vibrate function in XNA, so when its set to vibrate, it goes forwards.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Cooleo wrote:I'll interface it by using a wireless reciever for windows, that way the controller is connected to my PC, and i'm going to move it using the vibrate function in XNA, so when its set to vibrate, it goes forwards.
I am so confused right now :? .

Your going to use an xbox 360 and a computer for this?! Or are you not using an xbox 360 at all? Here's a diagram of what I'm getting from this. Your plan is to:

Code: Select all

Controller ---wirelessly connected to PC--- PC is running XNA program that makes the motors vibrate when a user prompts --- Controller is attached to RC car --- motors vibrating makes the RC car move
So from what I'm understanding, you would need a computer to control your RC car.

Another interpretation I have of what your saying is that the xbox 360 console is attached to the RC car, and the XNA program is running off of the xbox 360. This wouldn't be a good idea. The xbox 360 is going to require a lot of power, and it will have to plugged in. Not to mention all the extra weight you'll be carrying around.

might I recommend getting a wireless controller specifically designed for hobbyist RC builders? It would be a lot easier, and would probably have better range.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Cooleo

Post by Cooleo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Not at all like the above, I'll explain it better.

1. Xbox 360 Controller Stripped of case
2. Vibration motors replaced with standard motors
3. Put said controller and motors into some type of cover
4. Attach wheels to the motors.

Now for the XNA part:
1. Sync 360 controller to the PC
2. Get left motor to 'vibrate' when pressing left, right when right etc.
3. Drive!

No actual 360 or prebuilt car involved, I'm invoking the vibration motors but instead of vibrating, they will spin round and round, thus moving the car.