Xbox dvd drive not working.

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
Xbox dvd drive not working.

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:24 am

I got a new xbox 2 days ago from somebody. It was working when I first got it. I am making an xbox laptop so I have taken it apart and started working on it. Yesterday I was testing it. It worked fine until sudenly, without me changing any connections, when I turned it on again it displayed 3 red lights. I unplugged the dvd drive and switched it on and it worked fine. But when I connect the dvd drive now the motherboard powers up, but the dvd drive says tray/open/closing and when I press the eject button it wont respond.

What is wrong?

It is a hitachi drive.

Who can fix it,and how can I get the dvd key out to put in another xbox?

The xbox was made in 2007, its a elite, non jasper.

Should I e-mail the guy who supplied it to me and tell him it doesnt work?

I need help, URGENT!
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

mako321

Re: Xbox dvd drive not working.

Post by mako321 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Probably a bad dvd drive power connection.
Get the error code or secondary error code for us?

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:16 am

I tried to get the error code but it wasnt responding so i switched it off,

The next time i switched it on it turned on fine but the eve drive didnt open close,

the drive is a hitachi 79

I have found someone on the internet that will take the tsop chip out and read the dvd kay and put the dvd key into my(working) liteon 93450C

I asked him whether I would get banned or not (from xbox live and he didnt know)

Do you think I will get bannedd for swapping dvd drives?

How can I prevent being banned from xbox live?

Thanks

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

ryguy425425
PSN Username:ryguy425425
360 GamerTag:Lupus Timor
Steam ID:ryguy425425

Post by ryguy425425 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:25 am

I'd have him take that chip out and put it in a new Hitachi drive (if that can be done) that's the only way to be live-safe.

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:14 pm

If I were to get him to put the key in another hitachi drive would I definelty be safe from being banned, I really dont want to get banned.

I plan in buying a new xbox on ebay if this cant be fixed.

Thanks

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:59 pm

ssmith43654 wrote: I have found someone on the internet that will take the tsop chip out and read the dvd kay and put the dvd key into my(working) liteon 93450C

I asked him whether I would get banned or not (from xbox live and he didnt know)

Do you think I will get bannedd for swapping dvd drives?

How can I prevent being banned from xbox live?

Thanks
Before it wasn't really an issue, but since MS implemented AP2.5 it expects a certain response from each drive if you play an AP2.5 game. To put it simply, it depends on what type of Hitachi drive and whether it supports AP2.5 or not, but I definitely recommend just getting another Hitachi and using that to be 100% safe. Also, you don't need to send it to that guy, and you don't need to remove the TSOP chip or whatever he told you. Just use JungleFlasher to read the key and put in on the other drive (unless the drive is so damaged it won't work in JungleFlasher, but I doubt it).

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:07 pm

The drive is actually shorted, so it wont respond when I plug in in atall. The only way to remove the key is with desoldering the tsop. I could try plugging it into my pc but I suspect it wont do anything. Could you please suggest which hitachi drives use this ap2.5 (my current broken one is a hitachi 79) could I just get another hitachi 79 or could I buy a cheaer hitachi that would also work.

Thanks for your time, I have a blog if you would like to have a look at it here is the link. http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again.