New Xbox Laptop project -Tips/Advice welcome!

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

M 5hizzle
360 GamerTag:M 5hizzle
New Xbox Laptop project -Tips/Advice welcome!

Post by M 5hizzle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:15 am

Hi everyone, new here to these forums but I’ve followed Ben’s work for years on and off since I learned of his first Xbox laptop mod. Recently I’ve had a lot of time on my hands, and have wanted (in the back of my head) to clean up some of the extra hardware I have around. So I decided to start a project today, remembering the Xbox Laptop I read about to many years ago.
Anyways, I’ve got an old (first generation) Xbox 360 that got the RROD back in the day. When it originally happened, it was still under the Microsoft warranty plan so I managed to get it fixed for free. It happened again a year or so later just as I was about to move away to college, so I figured I’d just buy a new one (one with an HDMI out) along with a new HDTV for the new apartment. Since then, my old Xbox 360 has just been collecting dust in a box, along with other hardware I’ve accumulated over the years.

So this is what I was thinking for the project:

• Make a Xbox 360 Laptop out of my old Xbox (in the process, fixing the RROD issue which actually I may have fixed before boxing it up)
• Use an old 22inch screen I have for the display (V7 D22W12-N6)
• Get my brother to help me build a case in his shop.

Here’s where I’ll need some help/advice. Has anyone attempted/made a 360 laptop with a 22inch screen? I know it’s going to make the case a bit wide, but that’s ok, not building it for size. I figured using the wider display; the wider case will make it easier to fit in the Xbox components.

Now in theory it sounds good, but I just did the measuring, and the screen comes up to about 20 inches wide, whereas the Xbox 360 (still in original form) comes up just shy of 12 inches. At first I thought there might be too much space extra inside, but then realized I actually might be able to fit the famous ‘360 brick’ inside.
Ideas/advice on the case?

Now to the display. The monitor that I’m going to use has both DVI/VGA inputs, so I figure that’s good for being versatile in the build. However, I’m still uncertain as which to use. Which would be better or easier to use in this case?

And along with the display, I was originally thinking of a pair of speakers to buy for this, but as I was pulling off the model number I noticed an ‘Audio’ input on the back for typical computer speakers. I have yet to see if they work (need to find a cable to test it with one of my PCs) but how hard/easy would it be to integrate the possible built in speakers with the Xbox audio? I would assume wouldn’t be too difficult, but I’m not too knowledgeable in that aspect of the build yet.

For the most part of the build, I don’t think I’ll really be altering the internal components of the Xbox, 1. because I don’t feel too comfortable doing that yet, and 2. because well I’ll have enough space in the case (due to extra large monitor) that I won’t really need to. I’ll be following from Ben’s guide he put out a while back, but for the most part I’m just combining the Xbox and the monitor into one laptop unit without a whole lot of modification, just making a case to house it then cut as needed for the ports etc.

(Originally I was thinking I could build the case large enough and integrate an older HP laptop I’m not using into it, but decided against it, for now.)

However, I know I’ve still got a lot of work ahead of me, and know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here with experience, so any and all advice/tips are welcome!

As I make progress on the project I'll post about it. Thanks! (Especially to those who managed to read my horrible post haha.)

BioHazzrd

Re: New Xbox Laptop project -Tips/Advice welcome!

Post by BioHazzrd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Not a bad idea 22" would be nicer to play on... But it totally blows the whole "portable" word out of the mix... From my experience fixing xbox 360's RROD it never cools down as much as they usually do so they are more prone to RROD so it would be a better Israel use a non RROD console but you don't have to as long as you have good cooling... The power brick will easily fin with the dimensions you have to work with... There is no way you can build this without moding the console you will need a smaller heat sink for the CPU but make sure you have an excellent cooling system rigged up
If at first you don't succeed... Call it version 0.5

M 5hizzle
360 GamerTag:M 5hizzle

Re: New Xbox Laptop project -Tips/Advice welcome!

Post by M 5hizzle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I was thinking a 22" would be much nicer to play on, but also know it won't be too....portable, afterwards haha. But aslong as I can cut out as much weight as I can (thinking of shaving off most of the plastic casing on everything, powerbrick etc.) then I might be doing ok. But doesn't need to be all too portable anyways, just so I don't have to carry around monitor and xbox separately.

Yup, know cooling is going to be THE issue with this build, as its an ooold xbox and already RROD a few times. Probably will spend a good portion of the time just figuring out how to solve the issue as best as I can.

But back to the portability issue, I actually found a really nice aluminum briefcase that is large enough to house the screen and all of my components. That would solve making a case for me, and portability in a way (as its already sturdy and has a handle/latch etc.) Only issue with that idea would be the cooling, not sure if I would want to cut too many holes in the case for air, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Actually got the idea to build it sort of like the Pelican case 360s I've seen on here, and do most of the cooling from the top of the unit that way it can cool when opened and have all the cords etc. go out that way. Another + to the case idea part of the build, is I'll have MASSIVE left over space, so I can have all of the cords go out through the top when its opened, and I'll be able to store the controllers/cords etc. all in the unit, making it even better.

My only problem is, I'm not too knowledgeable on wiring the DVI/VGA for the system, it doens't have any HDMI on the old system, so I'll have to read up on how to get the xbox to put out onto the display. But that's just some time I need to take, first off need to get the RROD fixed (been so long since I last ran this thing it may be an easy fix, don't remember.)