Looking for memory card? for the wii

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

resecnded x
PSN Username:ShadowXKaiser
360 GamerTag:King Kickass99
Looking for memory card? for the wii

Post by resecnded x » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 pm

hey, im thinking of getting a wii, but i want to know

is there a memory card for the wii and what kind will it accept; what is the biggest (in terms of storage space) memory card for the wii, and pls provide a link if you can to said card

if this thread is in the wrong place, please move it to the right place
"Zeus, your son has returned; I have brought the destruction, OF OLYMPUS"

mako321

Re: Looking for memory card? for the wii

Post by mako321 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 pm

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/san ... b93d2den02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:52 pm

For Wii games--save games and games downloaded from Wii Shop-- it takes SD and SDHC (depending on manufacture date, you may need to update the firmware to use SDHC cards). It'll take up to 32GB cards, but that 2GB should be fine for most uses. Also, keep in mind that the Wii itself has internal flash based storage, you can keep save data for several games and a several games from the Wii Shop without ever needing a separate memory card.

For GameCube games on the Wii, you need a GameCube memory card(will not save to the Wii's internal memory, or a SD[HC] card). This 64MB card looks to be the biggest: Mad Catz MemoryCube 1019 Flash memory module

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:29 pm

well, i might get a lot of wii games, so what sd[HC] card do you recommend for the wii (if i can use it)

and how can i update the firmware for my wii (when i get it) so it will be able to use sd[HC] cards

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:35 pm

I'd just get a cheap 2 or 4GB SD(HC) card and get a bigger one when needed. Most retail stores carry SD cards now.

The Wii will want to update it's firmware when you first connect it to the internet, so you just let it run the update.

21gamerguru

Post by 21gamerguru » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:27 pm

get a high capacity sd card those will work fine
I'm a Gamecube master

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:15 pm

so lets say i get 2 16 GB Micro SDHC cards, and use a photo-fast cr-5400 adapter with a wii; would that work, because due to problems that have been solved, i got an extra cr-5400 photo-fast adapter, and im thinking of getting 2 more 16 GB Micro SDHC cards so i get at least 31 to 29 GB of wii space, depending if the wii has to sacrifice some space to make the card more nintendo wii friendly

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:59 pm

resecnded x wrote:well, i might get a lot of wii games, so what sd[HC] card do you recommend for the wii (if i can use it)

and how can i update the firmware for my wii (when i get it) so it will be able to use sd[HC] cards
ive read that sandisk works best on wii... some cheaper cards do mess up from time to time. ive had a 4gb sandisc with 145 downloaded games on it, and its been working just fine.
and.. i still have around a gig left after all those games.. so i dont think youll need to go much bigger in size than that.

also, you can transfer savefiles to the sd from system memory for storage reasons.. but you cant use them off it or save to it... you must transfer them back first.. and savefiles that use wifi cant be moved from system memory.. they are there for good.. so if your system ever has the dreaded "system files corrupt" message, be prepared to loose all your saved data that is on the system memory when you send it in to get fixed(but the crash ratio is like 3%, so it probably wont happen)... but, ive had that message twice since ive owned my wii.. both times i lost my save files when i had it fixed., i think my system was just a lemon.
now, if you update to 4.3 you can play the downloaded vc/wiiware games from the sd card instead of the main menu(thats what i do).. after the update youll see the sd card menu button on the main menu.. just update, then when you go to download a game from the shop channel, select "sd card" in stead of "system" and then it will download it straight to it.. and if you have games on the system already, just go to system menu options(round bottom left button on main menu)and transfer them to the sd card... once they are on there, just click the sd menu button on your main menu.. it will take you to a similar menu, but with way more spots for games/channels... dont forget you can move games/channels by pressing and holding the A and B button while hovering over it.. then move it where you want and let go of the buttons.
i think it holds 200+ or so in the menu.. like 20 pages.
heres a vid of the sd menu after you update:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXX_uUF-oqQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hope this helps
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 pm

I have a few name brand SD cards that I got from newegg (they usually have better prices than best buy), and they all work fine. Don't waste your money on nintendo Wii branded SD cards; you'll only be paying extra for the color of the card (white).
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

resecnded x wrote:so lets say i get 2 16 GB Micro SDHC cards, and use a photo-fast cr-5400 adapter with a wii; would that work, because due to problems that have been solved, i got an extra cr-5400 photo-fast adapter, and im thinking of getting 2 more 16 GB Micro SDHC cards so i get at least 31 to 29 GB of wii space, depending if the wii has to sacrifice some space to make the card more nintendo wii friendly
The Wii takes SD/SDHC cards not MS Pro Duo cards, so your photo-fast adapter won't fit. Additionally, you'd save yourself a bit of money by buying a single 32GB SDHC card instead of two 16GB micro-SDHC cards.

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:06 pm

mkay, i guess ill get a 32 gb card, or maybe just one 16 GB micro sdhc card, as when i got one of my sdhc cards, it came with one of those adapters that can work with the wii

do you think they'll make a higher capacity micro sdhc card, or is 16 GB pretty much the limit for them? :?:

8) :twisted: 8)

never mind about my earlier statement, as when i looked up 32 GB micro sdhc cards, i found some, but my real question is this

are ANY of them real and if so, is there an SD adapter that can hold two 32 GB micro SDHC cards totaling up to 64 GB of wii space/ pc storage space/ whatever space

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 am

resecnded x wrote:is there an SD adapter that can hold two 32 GB micro SDHC cards totaling up to 64 GB of wii space/ pc storage space/ whatever space
the wii wont register it.. only 32gb.

why do you even need 16gb? like i said above, i have 145 games downloaded on a 4gb sdhc card and its not even full.(no downloadable game is more than 40mb)
the sd menu only holds 224 games per card... so at the most, youd need a 8gb.. youd save a lot of money.
and if you somehow got more than 224(couple grand worth of games), just get another 8gb card.. they are cheap compared to the 16 and 32.. those would be total overkill... unless for some reason your wanting to watch movies off the card.. but that isnt worth the time.. you have to convert the video to mjpeg format.. which takes forever to do and it blows up the file to 3 to 4 times its original size.. you can burn a dvd faster then what it takes to convert and transfer to the card.
im mean, do what you want to do of course, im just trying to save you some cash.

and, if by some chance your wanting space for games on a modded system, you dont need to have a big card either.. youd want to use the usbloader and a usb harddrive.. i think it can use up to a 2tb drive.
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

resecnded x

Post by resecnded x » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:33 am

mkay, i guess ill settle for an 8 GB Micro SDHC card, or maybe a 16 GB sdhc card, as i might plan on getting a lot of games on it

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm

resecnded x wrote:mkay, i guess ill settle for an 8 GB Micro SDHC card, or maybe a 16 GB sdhc card, as i might plan on getting a lot of games on it
an 8gb should be fine.. if you got 224 games(which is all the sd menu can hold per card), you would still have some room left on the card.
40mb is as far as nintendo will let the devs go with the size of their games.. though most old school vc games arent more than a couple megabites... and wiiware are usually 10mb and up.. now, if you were to download nothing but 40mb games, an 8gb wouldnt be enough.. you would need close to 9gb.. but like i said, most games are fairly small... and i seriouly doubt there is even 224 games on the shop channel that is at the 40mb limit.
you could probably find a better deal on two 8gb cards compared to the 16gb.

if you end up with 224+ games downloaded, i wanna see the collection.. i have invested over $1200 in my games(i have a family of 7 that play the wii) and i havent seen many others that have that many officially downloaded games.
i dont think ive seen anyone who has run out of room on the sd menu either.
there is a lot of good games on the shop channel, but i dont think there is 224 of them.. but thats just me, ive havent got many of the sega, neogeo and turbographix 16 games.. ive mainly got the nintendo stuff.