Couple ideas with a Wii.

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO
Couple ideas with a Wii.

Post by GoldenfrankO » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Well I just bought a Nintendo Wii with a bad laser or drive (not sure) I don't plan on fixing it, but I would like to make something out of it.

1. Wii Slim: Make a custom case that looks like the Wii does now, but obviously slimmer due to I will Remove the DVD Drive. If I had enough room I wanted to put a 120GB HDD inside of it (120GB Hd in an enclosure) but It might be too big so I might as well do my next option...

2. Wii HDD: Simply remove the DVD Drive and put a 120GB HDD inside of it. Then I'd maybe drill a hole in the side of the wii for the USB port, or somehow fip inside out, so It's all internal.

BioHazzrd

Re: Couple ideas with a Wii.

Post by BioHazzrd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am

You can defiantly fit a 2.5" HDD inside the Wii where the DVD drive used to be and then you could put the homebrew channel on it and play old classics transfer movies etcetera (I haven't played too much with Wii homebrew but you might be able to stream movies from your PC too)
If at first you don't succeed... Call it version 0.5

GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:01 pm

I think I'm leanin towards the wii slim idea. I have my current 100% working wii running homebrew. I'm just thinking of removing the drive, gc memory card ports, 2 gc ports, and making a wii slim. Thing is would I be able to make the wii slimmer if I put a 2.5" sataii inside?

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:25 am

No the Wii uses a laptop standard 2.5" DVD drive if you were to remove it and replace it with a 2.5" HDD then you could not slim it down... at least not by much... But it still would be a good idea to gut out the useless stuff and make a custom case I say go with it

GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:39 am

I think I'm just going to gut it, remove the DVD drive and make a custom case. Wii Slim!

BioHazzrd

Post by BioHazzrd » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 am

I know this was a while ago but I got my facts wrong DVD's aren't 2.5... Have you worked on this at all? You should point me in the direction/put up a build log