I'm Brand New. Look At My Xbox 360 Project Log

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

CulinaryChemist
I'm Brand New. Look At My Xbox 360 Project Log

Post by CulinaryChemist » Mon May 10, 2010 8:22 pm

So yes I'm new to the forum but not new to modding I'm starting my very own xb 360 laptop and figured I'd share it with you wonderful people. I got some schematic pics to put up soon but I wanted to get this log started. Feel free to ask them questions.

CulinaryChemist

Re: I'm Brand New. Look At My Xbox 360 Project Log

Post by CulinaryChemist » Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 am

Allll right folks as promised a look into my crappy photoshop scematics for what the inside of the laptop will look like.
Ok so thats what the inside of the case is with the original mobo (Falcon). Some quick key points: Dvd drive is side facing similar to a real laptop, I would be wiring up an internal wifi attenna, and ill be leaving the power side facing so as to be able to push the latop against a wall (i.e. putting your laptop on a limited space desk).
Heres the re work:
If you take a look you'll notice the "floating" mem card slot and hdd connector. I am foregoing the keyboard on the top of the case because i dont think its usefull at all. Instead I will be having panels than will be able to pop up to switch out the hdd similar to the MK5 laptop from Mr.heck. The hdd will be upward facing while the mem card will be side facing. going further i may leave the mem card out all together but well see. Now the hdmi/vga port i will leave completely intact and will wire in a switch to be able to go from the internal monitor to the external connectors. As of right now i am fabricating the case from some leftover polycarbonate plastic i used on my desktop:
Hopefully ill have some pics up of my progress on that as well as a update as to what monitor i will be using. :mrgreen:

CulinaryChemist

Post by CulinaryChemist » Fri May 14, 2010 9:30 am

Okkk so just a quick update I've been desoldering the components off of te board (such a pain in the ass) my goal by the end of the weekend is to have all the neccesary parts desoldered and re-wired. I was able to find a site that still carrys stock of the 17 gateway monitor (the same one mr heck uses). Should be receiving it today. Also got the bottom half of my case cut and sanded so should have some pics up soon.

thetwoj1014

Post by thetwoj1014 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:40 pm

I wholeheartedly approve of you and all of your endeavors just from the sight of the mountain of Oreos visible through the desktop case.

Do work.

CulinaryChemist

Post by CulinaryChemist » Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 pm

ok so epic fail. I'm getting red ring of death e20 error because i slipped and knocked of one of those little brown boxes on the underside of the motherboard. I tried soldering it back on and all kinds of stuff but no luck. anyone got any ideas? if not will just buy a arcade xbox to finish this up.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 am

Like a tiny little resistor?
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

CulinaryChemist

Post by CulinaryChemist » Wed May 19, 2010 7:30 am

yea lol was too tired to figure out what the hell it was last night

CulinaryChemist

Post by CulinaryChemist » Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 am

Okkk we are back to business folks. Found a jasper for $100 and started re-wire everything again. heres a quick pic of the monitor linked up boot-leg-ed-ly.
still gotta desolder the other ports and got some major case work ahead but we getting there!

CulinaryChemist

Post by CulinaryChemist » Sat May 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Ok so I got all of the ports desoldered and got the complete bottom of the case cut (needs bondo sanding paint ect.). Im unsure about the cpu heat sink. I was think I could connect a cpu fan type heatsink to it. I was also wondering if i were to bend the flaps down similar to ben's wii laptop will that still be good enough to keep the system cool. Any suggestions??

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat May 29, 2010 2:16 pm

CulinaryChemist wrote:Ok so I got all of the ports desoldered and got the complete bottom of the case cut (needs bondo sanding paint ect.). Im unsure about the cpu heat sink. I was think I could connect a cpu fan type heatsink to it. I was also wondering if i were to bend the flaps down similar to ben's wii laptop will that still be good enough to keep the system cool. Any suggestions??
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 4&p=413279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

CulinaryChemist

Post by CulinaryChemist » Sat May 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks Masta, (who failed on the search button? :arrow: This guy) so its safe to assume the alum heatsink spread out on the jasper should work. pics soon