PS3 Laptop (a.k.a The ULTIMATE gaming laptop) worklog

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

michael_0u812
PS3 Laptop (a.k.a The ULTIMATE gaming laptop) worklog

Post by michael_0u812 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey everyone,

Since there aren't enough PS3 Laptops being made, I've decided to start one. I have a lot of ideas to make this one the ultimate laptop.

So far I have a 60gb b/c PS3 running Yellow Dog Linux. I'm an avid classic gamer so I have a program called Zerogame installed. For those of you who don't know, it's an excellent compilation of emulators with a very easy to use frontend.

This machine will be able to play NES, SNES, Gameboy/Color/Advance, Genesis, MAME, PS1, PS2, and PS3. Pretty versitile I must say. My plan is to be able to use this as an actual laptop(since I don't have one). I've been using linux on the PS3 for a while and I think it is capable of everything I need it to do. That is why I will be putting a keyboard AND a mouse touchpad in it.

The monitor I have is an 18.5" LG widescreen (read: BIG) but what it will allow me to do is place the blueray drive BESIDE the motherboard, thinning the laptop out a bit. I can't figure out where to put the power supply to keep it thin so I am thinking about possibly grabbing a 203W Xbox 360 Power brick for it. From what I've read, the PS3 draws ~160-180 watts so it will be close. It wont be able to power the monitor from it though.

In the next couple weeks, I hope to have this drawn up on CAD so you guys can see it. Feel free to ask questions or offer advice ;)

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: PS3 Laptop (a.k.a The ULTIMATE gaming laptop) worklog

Post by bassmasta » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:11 pm

michael_0u812 wrote: This machine will be able to play NES, SNES, Gameboy/Color/Advance, Genesis, MAME, PS1, PS2, and PS3. Pretty versitile I must say. My plan is to be able to use this as an actual laptop(since I don't have one). I've been using linux on the PS3 for a while and I think it is capable of everything I need it to do. That is why I will be putting a keyboard AND a mouse touchpad in it.
Can you use a mouse touchpad? I'm not so sure you can.
michael_0u812 wrote:The monitor I have is an 18.5" LG widescreen (read: BIG) but what it will allow me to do is place the blueray drive BESIDE the motherboard, thinning the laptop out a bit. I can't figure out where to put the power supply to keep it thin so I am thinking about possibly grabbing a 203W Xbox 360 Power brick for it. From what I've read, the PS3 draws ~160-180 watts so it will be close. It wont be able to power the monitor from it though.
You'd better be sure about that. Some of the old ps3's take up to 32Amps on the 12V line and 3Amps on the 5V line (both more than the 203W PSU). Check your model number to be sure.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:29 pm

There are a few manufactures that make USB keyboards with built in touchpads like:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... &CatId=533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hmm so my model peaks at 205W, so no Xbox adapter for me. Maybe I'll just use one of the second generation PS3 power supplies, the fancy black one, and turn it into a "Power Square"

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:48 pm

IMO you would be better off getting hold of one of the newer FAT ps3s as the size of the motherboard is reduced and i think have lower power consumption, it will of course mean you lose PS2 compatibility.

Also with the new update (ps3 firmware) new ps3 games may not work (requiring you to lose the linux option.

also as long as the touch pad is usb, it should work just like a mouse. something like this(http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_deta ... RODUCT=660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) though not a silicone one, as they arent the greatest to type on, just couldn't find a "hard" wired one, only wireless.

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I also have an 80gb fat PS3 but the backwards compatibility is important to me so thats why I'm making it with the 60gb.

Yeah I'm aware of the update and will not be updating. There are still a lot of released games that I haven't played yet so they should keep me occupied without having to update. I never use the PSN anyways.

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:23 pm

well hopefully there doesn't become games that need a newer update, but only time will tell.

JaysFreaky

Post by JaysFreaky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Good to see someone else making a PS3 laptop besides me. haha

Mine's almost done. Just a few things to finish up.

Hopefully some CFW gets released soon so we don't have to worry about newer games updating us to the newest FW.

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Nice, what model are you using?

Yeah I can't wait for some CFW to show up!

JaysFreaky

Post by JaysFreaky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:01 am

I'm using the CECHA01.

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Just a small update...

I've decided to take out the PS3's power supply and turn it into an external one. It will make the laptop itself a lot cooler as the power supply gets INCREDIBLY hot.

I stole an ATX power supply adapter from an old computer and the cord from a NES controller (I'm also making a portable NES) and hooked it up.

Now the PSU is a separate entity from the PS3

edit: don't mind the eMac, it runs linux :wink:

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Update:

I'm getting pretty far with this project. I've hacked up and slimmed down my monitor so it runs off the PS3 PSU. I have my keyboard and touchpad wired in. I still need to buy or build an audio amp. The base is now going to be as thick as the blu-ray drive with the keyboard on top, still fairly thin. My goal is to make it as close to Ben's PS3 slim laptop dimentions as possible using a fat PS3

Here is my tentative layout for all the parts. The easy part is over! Now I need to start building a case!

J.D

Post by J.D » Sat May 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Can't wait to see this done.

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Since this is my first laptop, I'm kinda designing it as I go. So I have a new idea. I have some space above my blu-ray drive so I am putting all the boards from the monitor there. The ribbon cables for the backlight and buttons were really long so I figured I would extend the wires from the driver board to the screen. Two hours later, here it is: (it still works BTW)

This will make the monitor portion just under half an inch thick ;)

rickylago2

Post by rickylago2 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 pm

WOW. looking great!
I'm surprised to see the mouspad working thats pretty sweet :P
You think your keeping the psu external?
Hackify me cap'n!

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat May 29, 2010 11:36 am

You might not want to extend the backlight wires like that. The TwoJ (can't remember his name) had problems with that when he extended them on his Xbox laptop.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.