Xbox 360 Laptop Questions

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

pujolsfan02
Xbox 360 Laptop Questions

Post by pujolsfan02 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Ok, so i am looking on trying to refine a 360 laptop to my likings... First off, I want to see if any of this is even remotely possible. The questions may sound n00bish, but i have no idea where to put them as i have asked other places and gotten no response.. Also, does anyone have the diagrams of the parts that Ben uses in his planning for the 360 laptop in adobe??

1. Making the Laptop run of batteries (maybe getting a couple LiPo Bats or something??)
2. Is there any way to switch the screen? (lets say i had another electronic device, such a laptop, wired into the LCD along with the 360.. could i switch in and out of it?)

I will be asking many more questions (so i will be editing these posts)

Thanks for your help,
Ben

How do i get the designs of the the xbox 360 internals?
the link here to get them for adobe doesnt work..

"Files used

Here's the file we used to design this Xbox 360 laptop. You can examine it and see how a lot of the parts went together, and even use it to cut your own templates and designs, either by paper and hand or using a CNC machine. Check out Will O'Brien's articles for more information on "roll your own" CNC devices (part 1, part 2, and part 3 here).

Download the art (Adobe Illustrator)

Case Design Concept

As with most of Ben's projects, we've got a case designed using Adobe Illustrator. The main theme is to make something as thin as possible. Thus, the first thing we need to look at are the thickest parts of the unit, because of course the unit can only be as thin as its thickest piece."
Last edited by pujolsfan02 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylechu

Re: Xbox 360 Laptop Questions

Post by kylechu » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 pm

1) The xbox 360 isn't going to be running off batteries unless you use some ridiculous batteries. By ridiculous, I mean like car batteries.

2) I suppose you could, but that is a lot of work to just make an even larger laptop. Also, the laptop's second screen vga port would have to be used.

An xbox 360 laptop isn't the best system to start off with for something like this. If you have some kind of electronics knowledge, it might be ok, but normally I'd suggest a simpler first project.
\

pujolsfan02

Post by pujolsfan02 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 pm

i do have electronic skills (not complete with the tech language yet) and am learning more and more about circuitry, etc.

What do you suggest to practice soldering?

what would be a good project as an intro to this? (just to give me a little prep so i don't screw up too much :D )

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Well, famiclones (tiny Chinese NES clones) like the superjoy and yobo are well documented, and easy to work with. If you want some experience modding, I'd go with a project involving that.
\

pujolsfan02

Post by pujolsfan02 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Thank you very much!