PS3 disc drive questions

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

glamisrnr
PS3 disc drive questions

Post by glamisrnr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:37 pm

I am working on a PS3 and I cant figure out what is wrong with it, the disc drive will not read any disc of any type, I have cleaned the laser, tried a different laser, and it still wont read the discs. Please help. :?:

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Re: PS3 disc drive questions

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Maybe the cable connecting the ps3 to the diskdrive is damaged.

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:26 pm

It sounds like the Blu-ray controller card has went out. There is a solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasrzxmTi-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zh46cR6k3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You (or someone else) can do that, you can send it to Sony for repair, or you can sell it as a broken system. A bad cable or lose connector on the motherboard is a possibility but your problem is most likely with the controller card.

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Believe it or not sometimes your console just needs an update. I replaced two lasers in two consoles and still they had problems either reading a blu ray dvd or a ps3 game. Then I decided what the heck, go ahead and update the system. And they both played blu ray dvds and ps3 games with no problem. Give it a shot and tell us what happens.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:30 pm

When fixing disc read error in the PS3, I have found that replacing the whole carriage assembly worked every time. I've done this to 20+ fat systems. Make sure the cables are fully seated and locked into place.

glamisrnr

Post by glamisrnr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 am

Figured out the problem, it was the little guide parts in the top of the drive they were not engaging properly. Got it fixed. Thanks for the help guys, will help in future repairs.