Wii Classic Controller for XBox 360?

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

necrogenesis
Wii Classic Controller for XBox 360?

Post by necrogenesis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Hello, I'm new here and don't know much about modding, but I've been thinking about a (hopefully) small project. I hope you guys can give me some input on it. Basically, I would like to plug a Wii Classic Controller into the expansion port on a wireless XBox 360 controller, and then use the Classic Controller to play 360 games. I was wondering if it would be possible to make some sort of adapter to do this. I am not looking to modifiy either controller if I don't have to. The idea is to use a better controller for playing retro games on the 360. That d-pad is really frustrating. So, are the two controller compatible at all? How would I go about building an adapter?

I'm open to other suggestions as well. I've seen lots of third party controllers. However, none of them seem to have a better d-pad while being wireless. I see so many complaints about the d-pad that I find it hard to believe there isn't a simple solution available. Perhaps I've missed it?

minnieman

Re: Wii Classic Controller for XBox 360?

Post by minnieman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:56 pm

i dont think that this is possible... the wii and xbox have completely different hardware types... unless you want to put an xbox 360 controller guts into a classic controller it wont work. sorry :/
every one of my trade offers comes with respect. just take that into consideration with my most likely appealing offer. :D

one day... my xbox 360 portable WILL HAPPEN!!
(to bad imma broke teen)

necrogenesis

Post by necrogenesis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Well, I know that the Classic Controller outputs information to the Wii remote when they are hooked up. And I know that the XBox controller can receive a lot of information from its port (like from that mini-keyboard attachment). And it's all electrons being passed... So I think they just need some sort of translator so they can talk to each other.

If nothing else, perhaps someone could point me in the direction of some documentation on what each controller can send and receive from the expansion ports?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Sending and receiving is the easy part. The problem is that the 360 controller can only recognize buttonpresses for games from its own buttons, the keyboard support is built into the firmware of the controller. The chatpad has been reverse engineered, so you might start there, but I do not think you would be able to just plug a classic controller in with anything less than a fully custom firmware (not even sure how possible that is).

I am no master on the subject, just pontificating on the little I know. :P

Excellent

Dan the HERO

Post by Dan the HERO » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:10 am

Can I quickly bump this thread?

I have the same issue! Kinda. I'd like to use a Wii Classic Controller Pro as an Xbox 360 Controller, but I don't mind a wire (that's what gives it the awesome "have-to-sit-3-feet-away-from-the-TV" classic feel!). Also, I have no issue taking apart controllers.

I'm figuring just taking apart a Wii controller and using the housing to put the "guts" of the 360 controller. The only issue I can foresee is how their analogs and D-pads are reversed, and having to re-route signals and such, but I've seen it done with 360-to-PS3 and vice versa. I don't know why I haven't come across any with Wii, especially because Nintendo has excellent D-pads.

Any detailed information on this topic would be much appreciated!

(also, sorry for the OP if this was too off topic, but an answer to this might help the both of us!)

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 pm

If you are willing to rewire a 360 controller so the joysticks and dpad match, that is certainly possible.
Having the wii controller plugged/wired directly is not going to happen.
You would be missing buttons.
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Deven247
360 GamerTag:Deven247
Steam ID:Deven247

Post by Deven247 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 am

I hear the Mayflash Wii to PC adapter only works for PC and PS3, and not Xbox 360. So why not get that and the PS3 to Xbox 360 adapter?